You Don't Know My Relationship, So It's A Blessing For You That I Didn't Ask

A little note for all of the family members and distant friends who love to give their opinions on things they do not understand.

834

It is the beginning of January, meaning we have all pretty much survived another holiday season full of the people you missed and could not wait to see. But, you've also encountered the people you see once a year and feel awkward with the whole time.

As a girl in my second half of my college years, I'm getting lots of opinions from people who barely know me.

Nothing bothers me more than when people want to tell me how to live my life, even though they have not been around to see most of my life. Topics including, but not limited to, my dating life.

I am sure we have all seen the memes and viral tweets about single people being tired of being asked when they are going to get a significant other, and while I cannot relate (but feel for you) let me tell you it is not always more fun when they have a person to ask about.

Believe it or not, I am not looking for your opinions on the boyfriend of mine that you have never met. I do not care to show you his picture so that you can see what he looks like, because he looks the same as he did in the picture I showed you last year. All the information about his major and his family is just the same as well.

So, if you do not care enough to remember the minor details, why do you think I would care to hear your opinions?

I know, I did what you are not supposed to and started dating someone right away in college. I was annoyed as a freshman when you told me not to settle down too quickly, and, over two years later (with the same boyfriend) I am just as annoyed with your new thoughts.

The truth of the matter is, he is a much bigger part of my life than you have ever tried to be, so what you think about our relationship or how long it has gone or will go, does not bother me. I never cared what you thought. What I do care about is the needless desire you have to feel authoritative in a life, my life, you have been little apart of.

You only kind of know me, and you definitely do not know him.

So, why on Earth do you feel inclined to give your advice now? Here is a hint: if I cared what you thought, I would have asked.