I Don't Know What I Want To Do With My Life, And That's Okay

If you aren't passionate for it, then don't do it.

165
Pxhere

I was the girl who knew her sophomore year of high school what she wanted to do. It's like I had my entire future planned out; get my Ph.D. in psychology, be a successful psychologist and help adolescents struggling with mental illness.

However, as I approached my second semester of college, I started having a lot of doubts and I wasn’t sure if that was still the path I wanted to take. I think this type of indecisiveness is normal for most first-year college students, after all, were talking about making one of the most important decisions of our lives.

It is very different when you take a specialty specific high school course versus taking it in college. I have heard the saying before, "isn't psych the easiest major you can possibly do?", no, no it is not. I have been struggling with my Physiology Psychology course this semester, it was not at all what I expected.

This class has been extremely intimidating and has caused me a significant amount of stress as to whether or not psychology is really what I want to be doing. It is frustrating to feel like I may not be good at what I really want to do. Throughout college, most of us wonder at least once a week (or maybe even once a day) whether or not we have chosen the right major that makes sense for us, and that's okay.

I know some of the required courses for your major can be difficult and frustrating, but you should never give up on your chosen major just because one class is bringing you down or is more challenging than the ones you have taken previously. I have to remind myself of this every single day, and I will continue to do so as long as I need to because I know this is my passion and helping people is what I am truly meant to do.

At times you may feel lost. You may even feel hopeless wondering if you will ever find something that is meant for you. I am someone who is scared to study a specialty for four years and absolutely hate it when I get into the field, I think we all fear that every now and again. Fear of the unknown and what the future holds is a scary thing.

I want to love what I will be doing, I want true happiness and fulfillment in my career. That is why I chose psychology in the first place. Being able to help people struggling with mental illness is what I have always wanted to do, so even though I need to remind myself every once in a while why I chose this path, deep down inside I am sure it is what I am destined to do.

I may not always be sure of what I want to do with my life, and I realized that is perfectly okay. I want to continue to take psychology courses because it means something to me and, but I always keep my options open and look forward to taking other courses in the future that interest me, even if they are not psychology related. You never know, I may find another passion that I never knew I had and it may take me down a different road, and that is totally okay.

As young adults in our first year or two of college, we really don't need to know what we want to do with our lives just yet, we still have time to explore our options and interests. I know it can be uncomfortable and sometimes unnerving when your friends and family ask what your major is. Just remember, it is perfectly okay to say that you are still undecided or that your exploring your options without feeling pressured.

It just shows you care about your future and that you take it very seriously. It is important to take courses that take you out of your comfort zone or courses that you have never even thought about taking. Use your general education requirements to take an art course or humanities course you want to know more about. You never know where you may find a new passion unless you try, and that is the beautiful thing about college.