Unpopular Opinion: Life Is Better Without Twitter

Take a break from it, and you'll think so, too.

14
Coffee Station

Eight months ago, I took the plunge and deactivated my Twitter account.

I wrote an article as to why, but simply put: I was sick and tired of wasting my time trying to stay in the loop, when the loop was completely irrelevant.

I thought after some time, I'd want to recreate my account, but over time, I've only grown more proud of my decision to wait out the 30-day period of possible reactivation.

I've done the world a favor.

As much as they say "one person is all it takes," I have no interest in starting some crazy reform movement to eliminate the menace (if you've seen Billy Madison, I hope you're laughing at that phrase, because I am).

No matter how much I dislike it, I've already accepted that I'm not going to be able to escape it completely. I chose a field of study in which social media plays a huge role, and I've also accepted that The Odyssey gives you the option to share this very article directly on Twitter.

It's a thing, and a popular one, too.

Maybe it's the 140-character limit that forces people to speak in nothing but abbreviations, or the dry, self-loathing comments intended to come across as humor.

Either way, I'm not challenging people to do the same thing I did and delete their accounts (not every Odyssey article has the intention to change the world with a "moral" of the story).

What I do think would be interesting is if Twitter users took a break from using it for a month or two, then see if they could scroll through their profiles without the urge to delete most of it.

Opening the app through a business account and giving it a few scrolls was enough of a reminder as to why I left in the first place.

Twitter comes with this sense of immediacy that causes a serious case of FOMO, or 'fear of missing out' for my out-of-touch readers. If you're not glued to it day-in and day-out, you miss a lot.

I'm not saying it's quality stuff -- I mean, how else would you know Cindy is craving cake and ice cream at 9:36 P.M.?

To be fair, not everything about it is awful. It's a great resource to spread information like wildfire, and I won't deny I've laughed at my fair share of hashtag trends and savage replies to dumb tweets.

Of all social media sites, Twitter requires the most time and dedication.

I just don't have any to dedicate.