How to Prepare for a Great Morning

Rise and Shine: It's Important!

Who gave being the early bird such a bad rep?!

5

Is it just me, or does it seem that everyone HATES waking up early? And when I say early, I mean any time before 12pm. The majority of my friends will be unresponsive on their phones before the afternoon, and if I am at a sleepover, I am always the first one up left waiting hours until we can go and get breakfast. I don't get it. Sure, there are days I am up extremely late and need to catch up on a little extra sleep - that's a given - but for the most part, I prefer to set an alarm and get my day started before missing an entire third of my day. Is the extra sleep really worth losing that amount of time in the day? To me, it is not… and here's how to change that mindset.

The habit needs to start somewhere - so decide to wake up at a set time the night before. Don't get ahead of yourself… keep it realistic given the circumstances of when you plan on falling asleep, and what you have going on the next day. Once it is decided, you're halfway there! Use an alarm clock - an actual alarm clock, not just your phone - and set one or more alarms to ensure you will not sleep through it. The hardest part, though, is not just waking up… it is staying awake. We have all been there... you wake up and realize how cozy you are and PROMISE yourself just five more minutes - which, in a snap, turns into another hour. This is where planning the night before becomes essential. Clean your room, pick out your outfit, pack up your backpack, and maybe even choose the breakfast you want to eat. When these things are done, I have found it gives me a sense of motivation to ease into my morning knowing I do not have that much to do.

Once you are up for good, you are golden. I suggest making your bed right away - it wakes you up and starts your day off being productive. Maybe listen to a morning themed playlist through a speaker, or even give yourself a little encouragement by promising yourself a stop to Starbucks before class. This stuff works! Being prepared and organized keeps you from falling behind and starting your day off on the wrong foot.

Growing up, my parents were early risers - no later than 6am each day - so I guess I followed their footsteps. Making a cup of coffee and enjoying my morning has become something I look forward to - its the calmness before even the busiest of days. Many people would argue this, but I truly believe that any morning can be relaxing and stress-free if you prep for it in advance and give yourself enough time. There were mornings before school that I would watch an entire episode of Gossip Girl while getting ready, or read chapters of my book while having coffee. How I feel when I wake up, most times, defines how I feel throughout that day. So starting it off on the right foot, and early enough to extend your day, is totally worth it.

Now in college, even though I have later afternoon/night classes, I still find myself setting an 8 am alarm. I make my bed, get dressed for the day, get a coffee, take a little walk, and find myself at the library before it even begins to get noisy - and I get a ton done. If I missed these hours of time to adjust to the day, I would be stressed and behind on life. So again, I do not really understand the popularity of sleeping in through lunch time. The sun rising and a day beginning is one of the most serene things in life… why sleep through it?