Unpopular Netflix Shows That Should Be More Popular

All of these TV shows on Netflix have one thing in common, they're all extremely under-appreciated. I recommend you watch them as soon as possible.

141
YouTube

I watch a lot of movies and TV, and I like to think I have a keen eye when it comes to finding diamonds in the rough. Since Netflix is the major streaming program that nearly everyone uses, I decided to stick to series that are produced, or available on this service.

If you're looking for something new, refreshing, and thoroughly entertaining, look no further. These are the TV shows produced, or on, Netflix that are pieces of art, but are often ignored or overlooked due to awful public taste and under-appreciation of things like style, character development, themes or acting.

1. "A Series of Unfortunate Events"

Based on the young adult book series by fictitious author, Lemony Snicket, “A Series of Unfortunate Events” follows the lives of the Baudelaire orphans, Violet, Klaus, and Sunny. The villain Count Olaf, played by Neil Patrick Harris, is an evil actor trying to get his hands on the Baudelaire fortune by any means necessary.

Each episode is the equivalent of half of one book, so the third season will be the conclusion. “A Series of Unfortunate Events” is full of literary references and satire.

Snicket’s masterpiece is witty and interesting both on the page and on the screen. It’s one of my favorite shows produced by Netflix, and I don’t anticipate that changing anytime soon.

2. "The End of the F***ing World"

This Netflix show is brilliant. "The End of the F***ing World," which is based off of a graphic novel by Charles Forsman, is centered around the lives of two teens who live in Great Britain: Alyssa and James.

After running away, the pair finds themselves in the midst of some very violent events that ultimately lead to a heartbreaking and unsettling conclusion.

This story is striking, mesmerizing, and incredibly intense. I was on the edge of my seat for the entire first season.

3. "Big Mouth"

Created and starring comedian Nick Kroll, “Big Mouth” is an adult cartoon about growing up. Featuring the lives of middle school best friends Nick Birch, played by Kroll, and Andrew Glouberman, played by John Mulaney, this show highlights how ridiculous growing up is.

Fair warning, this show is the raunchiest adult cartoon I have seen. For instance, in the first episode there’s a scene and song about penises playing basketball. It just gets worse, but better, from there.

The raunchiness is probably one of the biggest reasons why I love it, though. It was nice to find out that my middle-school humor is shared by some.

4. "Mindhunter"

Starring "Hamilton’s" King George, Jonathan Groff, “Mindhunter” follows FBI agents in the 1970s who are pioneers in the field of behavioral science. Holden Ford, played by Groff, and his partner Bill Tench, played by Holt McCallany, interview serial killers in hopes of developing theories about their twisted behaviors.

Not only is this show insanely fascinating, the style is unique and complex because of the dark shots and how it relies on conversation rather than images.

For more info about dialogue in “Mindhunter”:

5. "Love"

The title isn’t misleading, this Netflix show is a romantic comedy that follows main characters Gus and Mickie as they struggle with relationships. Set in modern-day California, “Love” is hilarious, relatable, and creative.

Situations in this Netflix show are so funny, they make me laugh out loud every time I rewatch an episode.

6. "Jessica Jones"

I’m sure that this show is more popular than I expect it is, but I wasn’t sure so I included it anyways.

“Jessica Jones” follows the life of a vigilante, Jessica Jones, who has superhuman powers like strength and insane jumping. She’s a private investigator, and orphan, who struggles with the villain, Kilgrave.

I love a good villain, and Kilgrave is one of my favorites. Played by "Doctor Who" and "Broadchurch" star, David Tennant, Kilgrave’s signatures are his mind control powers and his purple suits.

Other Under-appreciated Shows On Netflix but Not Made By Netflix

7. "Crazy Ex-Girlfriend"

8. "Turn"

9. "New Girl"

10. "Freaks and Geeks"