A College Student's Survivial Guide for Unpaid Summer Internships

How to get through those grueling work weeks (and forget about the unpaid part).

28

Summer is right around the corner, and your contemplating what you will be doing with your life. (OK, doesn't it feel like just yesterday?) Will you get a summer job or will you have to find an internship? You still have absolutely no idea what you want to do with your life... let's be real here.

You have two options:

1. Make money at a paying job so you don't feel like you're begging you parents for every cent you can get.

2. Take that giant leap into the "adult world," and sell your soul to an unpaid summer internship experience. (Let's be honest, if you find a paid internship these days, YOU ARE BLESSED.)

Employers are looking for possible candidates in the job market that have a vast experience in many different skill sets. I'm sure we've heard it all....

"An internship is a great resume builder"...

"This is how you will get your foot in the door with any company or business"...

"College graduates with intern experience will have absolutely no issue getting a job right out of college"....

Blah, Blah, Blah.

All that is running through our 20-something-year-old heads is.... HOW WILL I SURVIVE THE NEXT ACADEMIC YEAR WITHOUT MONEY?

I decided to take an internship with a minor league baseball team, the Bowie Baysox (Baltimore Orioles Affiliate) this summer about 45 minutes from my house. I grew up in Bowie, Maryland, before moving when I was 5, and I thought it would be an amazing experience. Being a Communication Studies major, with an interest in sports marketing/media, I thought this would be a great way to see if this was for me. I would be able to get my foot in the door, and would get tons of experience.

So here are my survival tips for getting through those grueling work weeks.

ANNIE'S 5 SURVIVAL TIPS

1. Don't think too much about the "Zero Dollar Paycheck."

I'm sure we have all been used to having the summer to make some serious bank. I mean, where else is our money for spontaneous Chipotle runs going to come from? However, money isn't everything. OK, yeah it's pretty important, but hear me out.

In four years of college, you should be getting as much experience as possible with areas of interest that you might see yourself doing in the future. Key word: Experience. This experience is going to land you a significant income in the future. Summers are no longer going to be all fun and games. It's time to get serious. You're a grown up now....*crys for days,* and you'll be living on your own before you know it.

An employer isn't going to love a resume that just lists food chains, supermarkets, and clothing stores that you've worked at for the past four summers. They want you to have real hands-on learning with people in the field you have been studying.

Heck, I'll admit I complained so much about making ZERO DOLLARS this summer, but I wouldn't trade the experience for the world. Think about it this way. You won't be making money, so you won't be spending as much either. I limited myself to only one shopping spree this summer. (That's extremely good for a shopaholic like me. Ladies, you understand!)

2. Take in every experience & get the most out of every day. There is always something to learn.

Interns are not going to be assigned the most fun-filled jobs. It's the real world, people. Don't be like Disgust from "Inside Out." Just make the most out of every assignment. Think about it this way. You were given a giant privilege, so don't let it go to waste. Out of a long list of applicants, you were chosen.

At the beginning of my internship, I was assigned three promotional nights for the team's home games. I was responsible for coming up with between inning promotion ideas to go along with the themes as well as making it a fun-filled night/day. When I wasn't doing that... LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT THE EXTRA FUN STUFF. Sure, going on flyer drops, pocket schedule drops, and doing busy work wasn't the most entertaining things to do on a weekly basis. DON'T EVER MENTION A POCKET SCHEDULE TO ME AGAIN, BTW. But, this was when the interns bonded the most. We all had to experience these boring, put-you-to-sleep days, but we made it what it was.

Office hours are not going to be the most fun in any setting, but it is what you make of it. I had the most fun on game nights! They were the longest days, working from noon to 10 p.m. or later most nights. We had the best time together!

HECK.... I EVEN LEARNED HOW TO SUMO WRESTLE.

3. Make relationships with your colleagues and fellow interns. (You may be working with them one day.)

I was one of two girls working as an intern this summer. That's what you get in the sports world. I was pretty used to it being the girl in elementary school playing kickball with all the boys. No need for all that girl drama. Over the course of my internship, my fellow interns became my friends. I can't say we were playing ping pong in the office, but we did have some competitive Nerf basketball competitions.

By the end, I would like to think that we were pretty much like family. As for the full-time staff, they were all pretty awesome. They taught us a lot, and we made them laugh a lot. This is a perfect time to make real connections that aren't just on LinkedIn. You can add them on there later though! Like I said before, you may never know when you are in need of a job, and one of these people could help you out. It's to your advantage to get to know everyone. You may even find a lot of things you have in common with people.

4. Don't stress too much about the little things. You're not being paid, so do the best you can. DON'T BE AFRAID TO ASK FOR A VACATION.

Being an unpaid intern puts stress on you financially, already. An internship is a learning experience, so you shouldn't stress yourself out about getting things perfect. They want you to contribute in the best way that you can.

Even if your family isn't planning to go on some extravagant vacation, it's always nice to take a mental health day to lay by the pool. Your boss is going to be understanding, because they know how difficult it is to be in the office for hours and hours every week not making a dime. Asking for a couple days off isn't as big of a deal as you might think. Having a break here and there is going to make your experience that more enjoyable. ASK FOR THAT VACATION. YOU DESERVE IT.

5. Cherish every moment, because you will definitely miss it by the end.

At the beginning of the internship, you don't know anyone. You feel like you're a little fish in a big pond of more experienced people than you are. You dread going to work because it's really awkward at first. Gradually, you become closer and closer with your fellow interns and employees. Workdays seem never ending, and by the middle of the summer, you're pretty burned out. How many more weeks of this? By the end, you're wishing you could flip back time, and do it all over again. You met some really awesome people who you will keep in contact with as they head back to school, too. Sure, some of the days were filled with busy work, but that taught you patience and perseverance. You made memories to last a lifetime, and learned lessons that will make you successful in the future. You'll never forget about this summer.

On that long list of things you'll tell your kids about someday. Yeah, this will definitely be on there. Bittersweet.