"Unless you get sick of me fast" -Yazmin

So for the Thanksgiving break I went home as many people did. I had a dear friend who was kind enough to drive me home too. This meant that we were in the car together for a stupid long amount of time, but nothing we couldn't handle. I've spent hours in a car driving to Oregon. The trip from Merced to Lake Elsinore and back is literally nothing. In the car we also had three freshmen in the backseat. My darling friend gave me shotgun and let me be the DJ. That meant I got to inflict my music on the others.

This brought about a bit of a moment of learning. My music is not mainstream apparently. I'm not saying I listen to obscure stuff, but I kind of do. But there's a disconnect it looks like. My friend who was driving was more familiar with my music than the freshmen. At the same time though I'd pick a song that ended with the "What???" facial expression. It was brilliant really. Back to the freshmen though. Their interests lie in mostly the pop and R&B genre. Mine lies within the British Alternative Rock and just general rock genre. As a result there were requests from the backseat for Rihanna and Nicki Minaj most times. I also learned that they are huge fans of the artist Drake. I had no problem with this as I was familiar with their music, but I just found it so interesting.

There's a difference of at least three years maybe four in terms of age between myself and the freshmen. There shouldn't have been such a huge disconnect I felt. It was there nonetheless though. Maybe I just don't see the point of dance music in a traffic stopped car? Or maybe I just prefer music that you can't belt out at the top of your lungs and feel it in your heart? That's just my opinion of course but I feel like that's the difference possibly. There's also the possibility that I'm not in tune with music today because I don't listen to the radio. I get my music from film, TV shows, and YouTube fan videos. Needless to say my tastes are wide.

Although there was a disconnect between myself and the freshmen but there not so much with my friend, the driver. She and I actually discussed how we have nothing in common, however we soon discovered that we did have music in common. Granted there were only three songs that we had in common out of all of them on my iPod. It was fascinating to come to this realization. She and I have nearly nothing in common but we are great friends! We get along very well. I mean, we spent what was probably 16 hours together in the car. We don't want to kill each other either which was good. I only made her shake her head at my music twice. Once was for playing the greatest song in the world "The Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny". If you don't know that song please look up the video on YouTube. The second head shake was when I played the "Pokerap" song. Yes I know that song. I also love it. I can rap all 150 original Pokémon names easy.

Overall though the trip to and from home was pleasant. Nobody wanted to kill anyone which is definitely a success. I almost made the driver cry with some of my music too. Not because it was bad but because she found it "beautiful". So yeah the drive between the two destinations was long but enjoyable. Lots of music and some good bonding. Perhaps there was some learning too. I'm a firm believer in music being a part of someone. If you listen to what someone puts on you're bound to learn something about them. I'm not sure what my music says about me but I think my friend could tell you. Hopefully nothing bad.