The Unknown Legend Of Appalachian State Athletics

Why put the focus purely on football?

38
@Tris103

In the world of today, the worthiest of candidates never seem to receive the appreciation they deserve. Famous celebrities, glorified and beloved by millions, continue to fill the headlines of magazine and entertainment news programs with their latest ignorant and bigoted proclamations. Column inches are given to the loudest and most obnoxious first and then trickle down to those who do their very best without the smallest hint of arrogance. At Appalachian State University, we love our football program, but the other athletic departments are often overlooked. An individual athlete of another department could potentially break numerous school records and win Sun Belt Conference Championships without the student body even realizing. Such is the case with distance runner Tristin Van Ord.

In Cross Country, Van Ord placed in the top six in five of her six races, was named the Sun Belt Conference Runner of the Week, and received First Team All-Conference honors. At the Conference Championship, she finished as the individual runner-up with a time of 17:02 for 3.1 miles while leading her mountaineer teammates to a second place title. Truly an inspiration to watch compete, Van Ord fights her way through every step of the race. Fueled by determination, all those who have watched her run and those who have competed against her recognize her restless drive for victory.

On the track, its more of the same for this female phenomena. Three individual Conference Championships, plus one Conference Runner-Up finish, plus two Appalachian State School Records, plus an NCAA Regional qualifying invitation equals one epic bad ass. The numbers don't lie. With a fiery 5000m personal record of 16:39, Van Ord isn't someone other competitors take lightly. But even with all of the awards, metals, and Conference plaques she has earned over the years, Van Ord continues to stay humble in the spotlight. Known by her teammates as a hardworking competitor and friend, one can always hear her voice as she cheers on each member of her mountaineer family.

On and off the track, Tristin Van Ord truly exemplifies what it means to sport the Appalachian "A". An incredible athlete with equally incredible sportsmanship, Van Ord is the role model every young athlete should look up to. With two more highly anticipated cross country and track seasons to go, the world is full possibilities for this rising star.