To The Unintentional Uninvolved Student

To The Unintentional Uninvolved Student

Maybe they don't understand what it's like to be young and financially responsible for yourself.

72
To The Unintentional Uninvolved Student
Joshua Newton

I know it's not your fault that you're not involved. You already have so much going on that you don't have the time to commit to organizations on campus. You know that it's not ideal, but you're so preoccupied in your personal life that being involved would be another commitment stressing you out. Don't beat yourself up about it. Don't compare yourself to the other students getting the most out of their education. You have to work to pay off bills, you have family that needs your care, like a sick mother or a younger sibling you need to look after. We're all given different lives and if yours prevents you from being involved outside of the classroom, it's okay.

You'll hear it all the time: from professors, students and future employers. "Why are you not involved?" then you have to go into a deep explanation about how your life isn't exactly as simple as the majority and now you sound like you're complaining. If only they understood right? It must be a given that you attend an expensive university that you're financially stable and you can count on your parents to pay all your fee's. Oh and that part-time job? That's probably not even for bills, that's probably paying for your next fun filled event. Wrong. If only they knew you were working over-time almost every day to pay for all your expenses.

I'm not saying you shouldn't be involved because if you can you definitely should. It will give you experience, you'll meet great people and it's something to drop down on your resume. However, don't feel like this is the only way to get friends and land a job in your field. There are possible paid-internships and in class projects you can use to your advantage. Also, if you do well in your classes and build relationships with professors you can easily obtain a letter of recommendation. Remember to stay in touch with professors you've built a relationship with too, they could have some connections.

The next time an employer looks down at you for not being involved, don't let it make you feel bad. Maybe they don't understand what it's like to be young and financially responsible for yourself. Give yourself some credit for working such late hours at a job unrelated to your field just so you can provide for yourself. Think of it as a step forward. Some students don't even know how to manage their bills and you've learned how to manage life-long responsibilities early on!