Unicorns… More Like Unicorny: Why This New Obsession Needs To Stop

Why are we trying to bring back something that gave us Charlie the Unicorn in 2005?
34

Why are we trying to bring back something that gave us Charlie the Unicorn in 2005? There are a lot of things that should be left in the early 2000s, and this is definitely one of them. I understand this makes me seem irrationally angry, but I just don't understand this new trend. Every day on Facebook I see things unicorn related: unicorn cocktails, unicorn cakes, unicorn makeup pallets, unicorn make-up brushes. Where did this trend come from? I just want to know so I can find the source and make sure it disappears for good.

My irritation with the unicorn trend hit its peak when I opened up an email from Tarte telling me that if I bought anything, they would send me a free unicorn headband. Tarte is a pretty expensive makeup line, so why are they advertising unicorn headbands to adults? I was hoping I lived in a world where unicorn headbands weren’t so in that they motivated people to buy things. Sadly, it’s the world we live in because it’s so "in" right now to be a ~unicorn~.

I thought we had left the mythical creatures behind with the mermaid craze, but somehow a new one just sprouted up out of nowhere. I just don't understand what the obsession is with things you had as dolls and played with as a child. I mean, it’s literally taking the world and grabbing it by the horns.

Everyone seems to be hopping on the unicorn train. Recently, a YouTuber by the name of Zoella, even shared one of her recent purchases which was a pink, sparkly unicorn cup with the phrase “Sparkle Like A Unicorn” on it. I’m sorry, but there are just so many things that are wrong with that. The first one being: how the h*ll are you supposed to sparkle like a unicorn? The answer is: you can’t — because that would literally be impossible. Second of all, this YouTuber is a 27-year-old adult. I just don't understand why someone like that would need that kind of daily motivation while they're sipping on their drink. I mean, come on, I thought we left cheesy things like this back in elementary school.

I get it; live your life the way you want, but if you really need something inspirational, find it in something real. As much as you might want them to, unicorns aren’t about to appear out of nowhere, so do yourself a favor, and find something else to obsess over.