Dealing With A Big, Bad, Ugly Anxiety Disorder

Take it from someone who deals with this every day.

12

First off, not many people will understand you or what you're going through and that's okay. They don't need to. The most important thing is that you understand yourself, and your body, and your emotions. People will judge you, think that you're just over reacting, and just brush you off. Well, that's not okay, but it's the God-awful truth.

I've been living with my anxiety disorder pretty much all my life. Anxiety is an illness, just like depression, and should be treated as such. Over the last couple of years, my illness has gotten worse to some degree. Whether it was from a death in my family, or my friends family, or my family friends family, well, it's been a crazy year. I would consider myself a sensitive person so it doesn't take much to get me crazy. Death isn't the only contributor to my anxiety. School, work, my family, friends, and my relationship. I can say I haven't had it easy lately.

With any mental illness, you eventually get put on medication for it, and often it takes a while to find the right medication and then the right dose. Taking pills suck, I can't imagine why anyone would get addicted to them, but that's another story. I've been on a few different medications (and all of them suck), but I feel like it's getting better. Little by little is what they say anyways.

Sometimes, anxiety disorders and panic attacks come hand in hand. I guess you would be considered one of the lucky ones if that wasn't you, but I can't say that when it comes to me. I've thrown up, cried hysterically, couldn't catch my breath, and sometimes felt like I basically could fall over and die. What sucks the most, is that you never know when an anxiety attack is coming. It just comes and there is nothing that can be done. You could be waiting for the bus, or be in class and all of a sudden, you start shaking like someone just murdered your best friend.

I have yet to come across a person who really can control their anxiety attacks. I know I've tried. What's worse is that you expect everyone to always treat you in a careful way so you don't get an attack, but nobody is ever going to have that in the back of their mind even if they know everything about you. Sometimes the person who you love and trust the most will be the cause of most of your anxiety attacks, but that's life.

So what's the real truth about an anxiety disorder?

They suck.

Find an outlet. Find something to soothe you, and to calm you down after you've had one, or even before you feel one coming on if you can. Always have someone to talk to. Even if it's just writing in a journal, go for it.

Don't expect everybody to understand or be careful with you. Don't get upset when someone tells you to calm down, or that you're over reacting, because you know how it is. I know that if someone as sensitive as me can get through them, anyone can.

Day by day, little by little.