Yes, I Know The Drawbacks Of My Major

Yes, I Know The Drawbacks Of My Major

Contrary to popular belief, I think the pros of being a teacher outweigh the cons.

388

When someone says that they are studying to become a teacher, they will get one of two responses. The first is most commonly just a blunt question asking why. The second is a comment on how little money they will be making. I will start out by simply saying yes, this profession on paper is not appealing nor is it rewarding to most people. It is a job where you teach students that are not always pleased to be in your classroom. This job does make little money, you do make significantly less than in my opinion, you deserve. I could sit here, and list out every nitty gritty drawback being a teacher has but I feel as though it would be better to list out the reasons why being a teacher is worth it.

I am going to let everyone in on a little secret; every education major knows exactly what they are going to make. I did not choose education to be a millionaire or make six figures. I did not select it for material benefits. I chose to become a teacher because I felt it was what I was meant to do. Teaching to me is more than all the things society says is bad about the profession. I want to be a teacher because I want to impact students life as my teachers did for me. My teachers specifically in high school were some of the most helpful and kindest people I had ever met. I had a math teacher who was so patient with me and genuinely wanted to see me succeed in his class. He was so willing to help me work through the subject and bless his soul I was not easy to teach math to. However, he worked with me until I understood. That was the first math class I earned a B in, in high school. I had a drama teacher who gave me an activity that I was genuinely passionate about, and a sense of belonging in the school. An English professor in high school that caused me to fall in love with my subject even more. The teacher that made me want to be a teacher was my junior year English teacher. She impacted my life in ways that meant more than she would ever know. She was not just my teacher who taught enthusiastically about a subject I adored; she was my mentor, confidant, sounding board, and someone I looked up to. I want to help other students the same way she helped and impacted me. Teachers can make or break a students experience in school. They can be the light that helps them, but without helpful teachers, students can really not have a good experience.

This is why I want to be a teacher because of the possibility of even impacting/changing one student's life outweighs every con. I want to change students lives for the better. I want to be their support system and help them succeed. No amount of money could compare to the feeling of doing something you love and helping people.