Understanding love language

In any form of relationship, the number one dynamic is that communication is key. As technology advances and people get older, it may be harder to remember to create a balance of understanding and reassurance between people in your life. This can create obstacles in a relationship, we all need reassurance that people in our life need us and want to be around us.

There are many distractions from day to day. Learning about the five love languages and how you can incorporate it into your relationships can impact a stronger bond.

1. Words of affirmation.

https://unsplash.com/photos/Dts390Vkiy0

Using words that focus on building up one's character and self-esteem not only make the other person feel good but you as well. When you use words to show that you care about another person in your life it reminds the significant other that they matter to you and you notice the small gestures and habits of them. You can use phrases such as:

"I love how you work so hard in what you do"

"You look great in that dress"

"You can always make me laugh"

2. Quality time.

https://unsplash.com/photos/Uj7l0fHJHFc

The saying goes that quality over quantity is always important. As life goes on and you get older you will always have moments to remember, not the overall time that you spent. Specific moments that meant a lot to you with a person will have a special place in your heart. If someone means a lot to you, you will always make time for them, even if its just a twenty-minute coffee session. The importance is giving your undivided attention to that person so that they are aware that in a moment that is what matters.

3. Receiving gifts.

Some people love receiving gifts because of it symbolizings a visual component of what that person means to you. That gift is a representation of how you see that person or you took the time of your day to think about them and is an expression of love. It is not the gift itself that is important but the thought that you made time to think of what the person likes and how you can show your generosity for them being in your life.

4. Acts of service.

https://unsplash.com/photos/juHBIFcbxVc

To come out of your comfort zone and do things that other people enjoy but you may not but you are able to see the joy in what they do is an act of service. Realizing what makes them happy also can make you happy at times and compromising is a love language many people can learn. Examining yourself and coming out of a stereotype such as cooking a meal or taking a dance class with your spouse is a step that you are willing to do anything for your friend, family or spouse.

5. Physical touch.

https://unsplash.com/photos/dXP204Hy_U4

Most communication is displayed through touch and non-vocal communication. Physical touch such as hugs is a vital part of development as we grow up. Some people feel a high emotional connection through physical touch and are reminded that they are loved by that. Being aware of how the people around you like to interact and how you do also is a great way to find out what best suits you in your love language.