Tech week, AKA the week leading up to a show's opening night, is infamous, stressful, and oh-so-crucial. There's nothing like it, and tech week has struggles and benefits all its own.
1. It just springs up out of nowhereGiphy
You think you're handling time well, and you're on top of things, and then all of a sudden tech week is here and you don't know where your time went.
2. You feel the need to protect your health like stolen treasureGiphy
Tech week is the most high-stakes time in preparing for opening a show. You cannot afford even a sniffle.
3. And yet you can't seem to escape making choices that impact your health negativelyGiphy
Chips and cookies are the only foods that seem to be around. So guess what you're going to eat? Chips and cookies.
4. You NEED caffeine...Giphy
Tech week means late, late nights, in addition to whatever life responsibilities you've been dealing with all day. Caffeine is a must, and yet...
5. ...but caffeine will be your downfallGiphy
It dries your voice out, and at the end of the day, you'll be just as tired, but your hands will be shaking.
6. At some point, you will feel like there's no way you'll be ready in timeGiphy
Hangup after hangup after hangup will leave you wondering if tech week should maybe last for two weeks instead.
7. If you're a college student, well, good luck CharlieGiphy
You've got tests? Papers? Projects? Sorry, let's hope your professors are generous with extensions, because you will have no time to get anything done.
8. You need people skills more than everGiphy
Cast, crew, and everyone else are shoved together for the first time, and the fate of the show depends on how well you can work everything out. It's a test, but one you have no choice but to pass.
9. Your relationships with everyone around you get strongerGiphy
Under normal circumstances, two people may have never given each other a second thought. Under tech week circumstances, you have to cling to the people around you. What works, works, right?
10. You couldn't ask for a better rewardGiphy
At the end of tech week comes opening night, where you get to see the fruits of your labor come to pass. When the show opens, you know that all the late nights were more than worth it.