Underrated Netflix Shows 2019
Seasonal

9 Extremely Underrated Netflix Shows And Movies That Will Keep You Up Until 3:00 AM This Summer

This is NOT a generic list recommending "Riverdale" or "Grey's Anatomy".

256
Pexels / JESHOOTS.com
https://www.pexels.com/photo/woman-wearing-black-dress-shirt-eating-popcorn-1040159/

Summer without Netflix is like winter without snow. This listicle contains some of the hidden gems of Netflix many have never heard of. Some of these shows/movies are often overlooked, but once you click on it, your life will forever be changed (at least for the month you watch it). Enjoy watching these when you get bored of the mainstream shows/movies.

"The Fosters"

https://media.giphy.com/media/mXrCbE8PQxamlLRvWP/giphy.gif

The Fosters is an excellent fast paced teen/family drama. The show revolves around a non-traditional family of two moms, a biological son, adopted twins and two foster kids; the characters seem to be on a rollercoaster of ups and downs. Character development and dialogue is on point, and the plot is well thought out. My all-time favorite show!

"Bates Motel"

https://media.giphy.com/media/GLpAmxAsC0AW4/giphy.gif

A woman and her son move into a foreclosed motel for a fresh start after her husband was murdered. Once they move into the motel, an unfortunate occurrence changes their lives forever. Can they get away with murder? Even though I started watching this show today, I am absolutely intrigued. From the very first scene, the show has kept me on the edge of my seat.

"Friend Request"

https://media.giphy.com/media/LdnljOZPgqyXu/giphy.gif

Laura, a popular and friendly girl in college, gets a friend request from a weird girl she met recently named Marina; Marina has no followers on Facebook, and her posts are odd. Maria becomes obsessed with Laura, leading to a fallout, and Marina commits suicide the same weekend.

Once students return to school, their professor informs them of Marina's death. Later that day, a video of Marina's suicide was uploaded on Laura's Facebook. Watch the movie to find out how Laura starts off with 800 followers on Facebook and ends up with zero, just like Marina.

"Quicksand"

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByBPxlsiYLF/

Whenever a friend asks for a Netflix recommendation, I always say "Quicksand" very enthusiastically, but I also warn them that this is a dark series with mature subjects. This series is originally Swedish, but the version on Netflix is dubbed in English. The series starts with Maria being arrested for first-degree murder; the events leading up to the shooting are revealed through suspenseful flashbacks.

It is a quick watch with only six fast paced episodes, and the ending will not disappoint you. Just a heads up that this series has nothing to do with quicksand; it is just a metaphor for how Maria got herself into situations which were hard for her to get out of.

"Love, Rosie"

https://media.giphy.com/media/Y28TYYLIaRiTK/giphy.gif

Best friends Rosie and Alex have grown up together, but the challenges they encounter distance them. Will they be able to make it back to each other before it is too late? You will not regret watching this pleasant yet slightly cheesy romantic comedy.

"American Vandal"

https://media.giphy.com/media/l4EoZ6JZ5uB4IT5FS/giphy.gif

27 faculty cars are vandalized the day of a staff meeting, and class clown Dylan Maxwell is accused and expelled for the crime. Peter and Sam investigate to fill in the holes of the story. Was Dylan really behind the crime? Was the eye-witness lying?

American Vandal is a mockumentary, more specifically a parody of the true crime show Serial. Even though it is a parody, every watcher wants to find out what really happened the day of the staff meeting.

"Criminal Minds"

https://media.giphy.com/media/Sn6CZ79Tz53RS/giphy.gif

A group of highly qualified FBI agents in Quantico investigate crimes all over the United States. From serial killers to homicides, the agents dig deep to get to the bottom of these perplexing cases.

"Atypical"

https://media.giphy.com/media/l1J9CiCufdrL0JRlu/giphy.gif

Sam, a high schooler on the autism spectrum, goes on a journey of love and self-discovery. With comedy, drama and romance everyone will find something they love about this show.

"Young and Hungry"

https://media.giphy.com/media/AEAiyAbh9LRBJofndV/giphy.gif

Young and Hungry revolves around the on-again-off-again relationship between Silicon Valley tech entrepreneur Josh and his chef Gaby. This hilarous sitcom is drama filled and will not fail to make you laugh.