To the incoming freshmen who applied to college but did not declare a major yet—you're doing great sweetie.

Declaring a major is one of the many imperative decisions you will have to make during your undergraduate career. It will determine what you will be essentially studying for the next four years and let's be honest here, getting a degree in whatever you end up deciding to major in will be ridiculously expensive and will require a lot of time and effort.

Truthfully, I don't think anyone really knows what they want to declare their major as when they first start college. Sure, there are some people that come into college with an idea of what they may want to do for the rest of their lives, but I can assure you that a majority of those people will change their intended major. According to the U.S. Department of Education, about one-third of college students enrolled in a bachelor's degree program changed their major. Additionally, the U.S. Department of Education also reported that about one in ten students changed their majors more than once! Students change their majors for a variety of reasons; discovering a major that correlates better with their intended field or industry, coming to the realization that the major they declared doesn't make them happy, etc.

Take it from someone who changed their major three times- the last major change happening the summer going into my senior year- don't rush into declaring a major you are having doubts about. I'll admit it, the next four years are going to go by faster than you could have imagined, but you have time to decide (and do not let any advisor tell you otherwise).

Realistically, you have the first two years to decide what you may want to declare your major as since you will be taking general courses that everyone has to take. Take advantage of these two years by exploring your options, finding out what you love and do not love, and joining clubs or organizations. I hate to state the obvious, but you are going to find new friends, you are going to have experiences that will inevitably change you, and you will not be the same person four years from now.

My biggest regret in college is not taking the time to explore all of my options and suppressing something I genuinely loved to do because "you should choose a major that is realistic." Learn from my mistakes. I promise that once you find something you love and have the drive and passion for it, you will find a way to make a living out of it.

Sincerely,

The ex-biology and ex-exercise physiology major.