Unapologetically Black Films That African Americans Rewatch Every Holiday

If Roots is on, bests believe its the 9 hour marathon!

415
Youtube

It's that time of year again where three things that matter: Holiday seasons, stuffing yourself with endless amounts of food, and watching re-runs of countless movies I've already seen. As a African American, holidays are perfect for rewatching black movies. I had to make a list of black films that are always on during the holiday seasons. Doesn't matter whether its Thanksgiving or Cinco De Mayo, I guarantee that a black family is rewatching one of these films listed below.

"The Color Purple"

You know dang well this list wouldn't be made WITHOUT Celie and Shug. If you’ve ever seen Whoopi Goldberg looking like a slave, seen Danny Glover acting like a total dick, or heard the phrase, “I had to fight for me life!” then you have probably seen "The Color Purple."

"The Color Purple" is one of those movies that’s on when you finish eating Thanksgiving dinner. It’s one of those movies that is always on either earlier or after Thanksgiving Day. The story is about a woman named Celie (Whoopi Goldberg) who lives in the Old South. It’s literally about how she deals with adversity and abuse over the span of a few decades.

Every time I’ve watched "the Color Purple," It was always on a scene in which I've barely remember. "The Color Purple" is like the long lost Bible for Black people.

"Holiday Heart"

I might be reaching with this one, but trust me it's worth it. "Holiday Heart" is that movie on Thanksgiving that you catch on BET just randomly. If you’ve ever seen Ving Rhames dress as a drag queen or seen Alfre Woodard as a crack addict, this is that movie! The plot is simple.

It’s about a drag queen who welcomes in a woman and her child but there is more to the story than meets the eye. For it being a TV movie, it’s actually a pretty good film. This film is usually seen on MGM, BET, and maybe even TV ONE.

"Roots"

The Holidays wouldn’t be complete without the nine-hour marathon of "Roots." And I am not talking about the 2016 remake, I am referring to the 1977 original. Doesn’t matter what channel it's on, Roots will take over an entire channel just with one season alone.

Not mentioning "Roots" on this list would be equivalent to someone trying to take my black card away. It just doesn’t work that way. Ever hear someone call someone “Kunta Kinte” or even mention slavery, that is probably referring to Roots.

"Coming to America"

Known as one of Eddie Murphy’s top comedies of all time. When I tell you that both Eddie Murphy and Arsenio Hall play four characters throughout the movie, I am not kidding. This movie is about a prince who moves to New York City to find love.

It’s everyday situations that the prince goes through throughout the movie that makes the film hilarious to the tee. Quotes such as, “I CANNNNNNT BELIEEEEEEVE IT!” and “SEXUAL CHOCOLATE!” are what make this movie prime way before its time. I even dressed as Akeem from "Coming to America" this year and some people thought I was a caddy. Needless to say, I guess they don’t watch Eddie Murphy.

Any Tyler Perry Skit/Film

Holidays don’t exist without pumpkin pie and any Tyler Perry skits or movies. I can remember when I was little, my cousins and grandparents had almost every bootleg collection of Tyler Perry films.

Whether it's "Madea Family Reunion," "Diary of a Mad Black Woman," "Meet the Browns," "The Family that Preys," or even "For Colored Girls" (to name a few). Tyler Perry likes to mix his films and skits with comedy and hardcore drama that will capture the audience attention from start to finish.

Shoot, you might even catch his shows on the “O” channel.

"Rosewood"

There is something about tv channels broadcasting racism on tv during the holiday season that brings people together. I remember when I was younger, I couldn’t watch this movie due to the horrid acts that take place in the movie.

You have the story of Rosewood, but also “Hollywood” into a half history half action blockbuster. The climax of this film is so ridiculous, people actually might think that this version is what took place besides the real Rosewood.

"The Jacksons: An American Dream"

If any of Michael Jackson’s songs aren’t in your “Top 10 songs” playlist, then you probably need to re-edit your playlist ASAP. See "Roots" can last the whole day, while The Jacksons film only last about four hours. Four hours is what it takes for food to finally be finished; hence, this film usually is shown between 1:30 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. The only reason I remembered this film is because Angela Bassett plays the hell out of Katherine Jackson!

"Purple Rain"

Purple Rain! Purple Rain! And no I am not referring to Future's song on his Purple Reign mixtape. Hands down one of Prince best movies. The thing I like about this film is that they actually have Prince playing Prince in the film. This movie is about how Prince came to be known as Prince.

"Love and Basketball"

Two names: Omar Epps and Sanaa Lathan. Enough said. This movie is a perfect illustration of how people are driven by the utter desire to succeed. Is that desire love or is it Basketball?

"Lean on Me"

If you haven’t seen this film, you need to stop what you’re doing and turn it on asap!!

"Juice"

There is criticism when it comes to rappers acting. If it wasn’t for Tupac acting in this film, this film would be garbage. Tupac delivers the perfect persona for his part in Juice. Other than music, this is what he is known for!

"Baby Boy"

Let’s take a moment of silence for Tyrese Gibson as we are all witnessing him having an emotional breakdown. All right, break is over. This movie is a prime example of a momma’s boy gangster who seems to not want to grow up with having responsibilities of an adult.

"Drumline"

Nick Cannon made "Drumline" way before he was known as “Wild N Out.”

"I’m Gonna Git You Sucka"

Ever seen the most ridiculous blaxploitation parody film of blaxploitation? This is that film! With endless jokes and unforgettable quotes, this parody captures the most plain in view jokes that are in these types of films.

"Paid in Full"

A holiday season isn’t complete without the infamous Paid in Full. Mekhi Phifer is already one of y my favorite actors ("Save the Last Dance," "O," "8-Mile"). On top of that, you have Wood Harris ("Remember the Titans," "The Wire.") Nothing beats a good crime drama movie of the 1980s drug scene in Harlem, New York. Following two friends who are at the top of their game in the drug game. This movie literally moves emotions.

"Belly"

Remember that time period when rappers were taking the good acting jobs? This is a prime example!

Any Quentin Tarantino Movie

Quentin Tarantino has no filter when it comes to his films. Sex, violence, action, and drugs are usually involved in any one of his films. If there is any white male who can get away with saying the N-word, it's this guy!

"Soul Food"

"Soul Food" is the guaranteed black holiday movie of all time. Doesn’t matter if it’s Thanksgiving to Easter, "Soul Food" is one of those movies that’s always on 110% of the time. Whether it’s 5:00 A.M. or 8:00 P.M., "Soul Food" is forever one of those movies that doesn’t have a designated time slot.

"A Time to Kill"

Samuel L. Jackson should have is own holiday dedicated to him. I swear him and Wesley Snipes are literally in everything. You could watch a random film about Italy and I bet you somehow Samuel L. Jackson would be listed in the credits. This casting is stacked with the top of the line best actors and actresses Hollywood had at the time. I told you racism loves to be seen during the holidays.

"Men of Honor"

Growing up, I knew Cuba Gooding Jr. as two roles: his "Radio" and "Snow Dogs" roles. I had never thought to see him in a serious movie like "Men of Honor." Don’t get me wrong, his performance in Radio was great, but Men of Honor puts that to shame. "Men of Honor" is the perfect war movie for any holiday setting.

"New Jack City"

The 90’s was definitely the era of Wesley Snipes. Wesley Snipes was in 25 different films from the span of ten years. "New Jack City" made me respect Wesley Snipes as an actor. He always portrays good character roles but "New Jack City," not so much. This action drama is about a crime lord rise to power while being pursued by the police and other gangs. This is one of Wesley Snipes top performances ever.

"The Green Mile"

At first, I thought this was one of the strangest movies ever made. When I grew up and rewatched it though, it blew my mind on how beautifully a movie can be done if given the right director and direction. This stars Tom Hanks, Michael Clark Duncan (RIP), and David Morse. If you love drama, crime and a hint of fantasy, I highly recommend this movie.

"Little Richard"

It’s either "The Jacksons" or "Little Richard" that’s on. No in between!

"The Josephine Baker Story"

Never ask questions when you see Lynn Whitfield in a film. She is either the main character or the bad guy, no ifs or buts about it.