The Ugly Truth Surrounding The 2015 Women's World Cup

Why the athletes deserve better than what they got.

25

It has been a week since the U.S. women's soccer team brought home the gold at the 2015 World Cup. In the final game against Japan, the U.S. team was up 4-0 by the 16th minute. Three of those goals being scored by none other than the golden ball winner herself, Carli Lloyd. The game ended in a 5-2 U.S. victory, which is the most goals ever scored by one team in a women's FIFA World Cup finals.

With such a thrilling final game, America was sure to be watching. There were a total of 25.4 million viewers watching the game unfold on Fox last Sunday, making it the most viewed soccer game in U.S. history for both men and women. The audience for the game also beat the recent NBA finals and last year's MLB World Series. With all of this success and attention why was the winning women's team awarded $33 million less than the men's?

Last year whenGermany won the men's FIFA World Cup they received $35 million while the U.S. women's team was only given $2 million for their recent victory. USA Today calculates that to be six cents for every dollar that the men were given. Even the U.S. men's team who only made it to the Round of 16 in the 2014 World Cup was awarded $9 million. So what is the reason for this huge difference in what the women were awarded?

This gap is mainly due to the fact that hardly any companies sponsored the women's World Cup. Fox was able to raise $17 million from ads for the tournament which is a small fraction of the $529 million ESPN raised for the men's World Cup last year. This just leads to the question of why are women's sports so overlooked by companies willing to invest.

Overall women's sports are seen as less moneymaker then men's sports. It's all a cycle due to airtime and being ignored in media deals. This would all make more sense if nobody was watching the tournament, but like I stated earlier, that is obviously not true. Potential sponsors really did pass up on a great opportunity, and I am sure they are kicking themselves for it now.

The leaders of FIFA are also getting a lot of heat for their own poor decisions during the tournament. From the beginning people were arguing about discrimination and criticizing the fact that the women were playing on fields with artificial turf when the men have never had to. Turf fields are on average 20-30 degrees hotter than regular grass fields, resulting in the game temperatures to be around 120 degrees. Not only was there a possibility for the players to get heat stroke, but there was also a chance for them to suffer from some pretty severe turf burns and potential injuries. Sydney Leroux posted evidence of this to her Twitter stating "This is why soccer should be played on grass!"

Top women soccer players including Abby Wambach and Alex Morgan filed a lawsuit against FIFA in late 2014 regarding the turf fields, but FIFA officials said there was not enough time to make the change.

Regardless of the reasons for all of this controversy, I think we can all agree that these 23 women have proven themselves to be just as deserving as any male athlete.