Different Types Of Yoga And Their Purpose.

Yoga is more than just "stretching exercises"

77
Pixabay.com

Yoga has been practiced for around six to seven thousand years. It started in India as a means of physical, mental, and spiritual practices. Today in countries like Indonesia and India, Yoga is practiced in schools as means of enlightenment and helps students focus better in school. Yoga means "Unions of the Individual soul; Body, Mind, and Spirit".

Here in the United States, Yoga has become a popular way of exercise, helping those in need of physical therapy and means of coping with anxiety/depression. The type of yoga we practice is called Hatha Yoga which is meant for primarily meant for physical health. However, the true meaning of Yoga and its branches are more diverse and in-depth than we realize. Yoga is practiced in multiple religions there are many versions of yoga. Each one has a specific mental and spiritual concept and enlightenment behind it. Why can't we be fit and enlightened at the same time?

In Hindu yoga, the Bhagavad Gita (a spiritual scripture written between the fifth and second Century) describes 3 types of Yoga:

1. Karma Yoga: Action in the world. (selfless acts)

2. Jhana Yoga: Knowledge and intellectual endeavor.

3. Bhakti Yoga: Yoga of devotion and love.

The Yoga that is meant for Philosophy is called Sutras of Patanjali. Its purpose is to physically and mentally align yourself with your eight limbs, with the goal of raising yourself to stable meditation and deeper states of absorption.

1. Yama: Violence, Lying, Theft, lust, and possessions.

2. Niyama: Purity, Contentment, Study, austerities, and surrender to god.

3. Asana: Meaning seat, as in your seated yoga position.

4. Pranayama: Control of Prana or Vital breath.

5. Pratyahara: "The senses do not come into conflict or contact with objects and follow the nature of the mind"- Vyasa

6. Dharana: Fixing attention on single object

7. Dhyana: Meditation

8. Samadhi: Very conscious state/trance.

Buddhist Yoga is meant for finding enlightenment, breathing and heart rhythm, and timing in movement exercises bringing your union of moon and sun (known as Thrul-Khor). This is typically practiced in Tibet.

As you can see there are many benefits and purposes of yoga. The general purpose that they all have is help us all become one with ourselves. To help us focus, and get away from negativity and help us become better versions of ourselves.

Personally, with my experience with Yoga, I have seen its miraculous benefits mentally, physically, and spiritually. I have also experienced a time where I did not practice yoga. I have to say that this is something I will never abandon, and probably will teach my kids in the future. It's that good for you. If you are interested in learning more about the origin and type of yoga. Click on the link below for Sources and Credit.

NAMASTE

Sources and Credits belonging to:

http://www.hinduwebsite.com/yoga.asp