What does duty represent precisely? In its basics, it stands for a thing you are obliged to do or not do. Usually, this is imposed by an authority, law, and/or rule. And there are some sanctions connected to violations that may arise. That's how misconduct enters the picture.

In reality, it appears when a person fails or refuses to act based on their duty. No matter if it's legal or ethical, every misconduct has consequences. To help you recognize misconduct and do something about it, here we'll go over some types that you'll likely encounter in your lifetime. Let's go!

Legal Misconduct

This is one of the most serious types of misconduct. Mainly, it's due to the fact that officials and people of the law are the ones doing it. It happens in government service, as well. Even though they aren't allowed to, these people disobey their duties and in the event, innocent people suffer. Procedures, codes of conduct, and other rules are on the list of violated things.

Some specific terms related to this are malfeasance and misprision. Moreover, the latter indicates improper acting of officials while doing their work. In some countries, though, this term describes the mistake and neglect of a court clerk responsible for the paperwork.

Another legal misconduct can be perverting the course of justice. This incorporates getting rid of the evidence, threating judges and jurors, and similar acts.

Eventually, in this part, we want to point out police misconduct, which is a very serious and important issue. What it represents is the inappropriate and illegal behavior of police officers while performing their duty that comes with their job. Victims of this misconduct should seek the help of a police misconduct attorney. They will make sure that this issue is taken care of, putting the clients first and fighting the injustice inflicted on them.

Workplace Misconduct

As the name suggests, this misconduct happens in people's workplace. More precisely, it can be described with the term maladministration. It means administering or managing the job dishonestly and unlawfully.

Of course, this can refer to both the employer and employees. In the case of employees, some examples of wrongful actions are:

• Disobedience of orders
  • Insubordination
  • Sexual harassment
  • Being absent more than it's legally allowed
  • Incompetence
  • Stealing and lying

There are many more to keep an eye on, though. You should just be aware that they exist and know that you can act on them by reporting them to the higher authorities or hiring a lawyer to help you with your case.

A Final Word

These types of misconduct are among the most common and serious ones. That's why if you understand them, you can recognize them more easily. Only then, you'll be able to protect yourself and try to stop them from happening again. So, was this helpful? Do you have experience with these types of misconduct? Tell us everything here.