Types Of Friends You'll Have By Your 20s
Friendships

6 Types Of Friends You May Or May Not Meet By The Time You're 20

Ready your poke balls and try to collect them all!

178

You'll have many friends throughout your life, but each of them has something special about them. They may be friends from long into your past, or friends that came up out of nowhere. It doesn't really matter how you met them, but sometimes the stories can be fun to hear and tell. They each provide an essential puzzle piece of support to your life that you couldn't live without.

1. The "Fran"

Personal Photo

This friend is arguably the most important friend in your life. You've known them since you were like five and they know everything about you. This friend keeps you anchored and is a steady rock when everything is constantly changing. No matter where you two are at in your lives, you always make an effort to make time to see each other. You danced to kids' work out videos when you were little and built a fort out of fallen logs in the woods together. Their mom is also your mom, and you've achieved a level of comfort in their presence that can be rivaled by no other friendship. Together you've changed, but together you've stayed. This friendship is like listening to classic rock. It may be old, but nothing else can beat it.

2. The "Gabigail"

Personal Photo

This friendship formed quickly and strongly. You might have been lab partners for a whole semester and barely talked to each other, only to find on the last day of the semester that you're basically the same person. On the outside you might be exact opposites, but you could sit and eat burritos and watch "Bob's Burgers" together for days. This is the friend you didn't know you needed until you had them, and now you'll never let them go. You might also hear in reference to this friendship that the two of you are "couple goals" because, let's face it, you're basically dating.

3. The "Magitha"

Personal Photo

The Magitha is a friendship that you weren't quite expecting. They were a friend of a friend and somehow you ended up hanging out together because no one else was available to watch the solar eclipse with you. Fast forward months later and you've found out that this is the dad friend to your mom friend. Forming a friendship with The Magitha is kind of like falling in love except instead of romantic feelings for each other, you form romantic feelings for the characters of your favorite TV shows. You love to nerd out together, and know that you can always turn to each other when things go south. Don't let this one go because they may be young, but their soul is wise beyond their years.

4. The "Hannakin Skywalker/Smellissa"

Personal Photo

Let's be honest. At first you thought Hannakin was a bit off their rocker and they were just that roommate you didn't know. As it turns out, however, Hannakin is more sweet and loving than anyone you've ever met. To be fair, they are also definitely still a bit off their rocker. It's just another thing you love about them though. They join you when you have your mental breakdowns and understand that organic chemistry is just plain balls. You're so glad you met Hannakin because their wild side makes your life all the more exciting and bearable. Plus they get you out of bed on the weekend when you're planning on rewatching "The Office"... again.

5. The McKenna/Emily

Personal Photo

This friendship provided you with a family while you were away from home. You had met them once or twice, but when you end a long term relationship the same night as you're supposed to have fun plans, they're there with tissues and mug muffins in a heartbeat. This friendship formed fast, but nothing about it was forced. They are gentle and loving and also wild and exciting. What would you do without them? You have no idea, but you don't want to think about it and neither do they. You've found your place with them, and they'll always love you no matter what.

6. The "Worm"

Personal Photo

This friend is awesome. They like all the things that you do, and you're in the same classes together. You can complain together about working in the lab and the awkward guy that you haven't quite yet figured out what to say to. This friend you knew for a while before you actually became friends. For a while they were just a friendly face. By the end, however, you're planning out the science pun themed decorations for the room that you're going to share together next semester.

Each of these friends is special and unique. I don't know what I'd have done without them this past year as it was a tough one for me. If you're lucky, you'll have met one or two of these people by this time in your life. Somehow, I've managed to meet every single one. To those of you that are reading this, thank you for all of your love and support. I only hope that I can be the same rock in your life that you are in mine.