10 Podcasts To Listen To On Your Drive Home

Spring break means getting away, and that calls for long car/airplane rides.

890
Music and Coding

Whether you're traveling home or elsewhere for Spring Break, there's bound to be a long drive ahead. When you inevitably run out of Karaoke jams, your eyes start to glaze over, and you're tempted to stop for a third cup of coffee: fear not, for I have compiled a list of some awesome podcasts guaranteed to keep you entertained on even the most mundane roads (looking at you, I10).

1.) Pod Save America/Pod Save the World

For those who like to stay informed but don't like reading the news. Take your pick of domestic or international affairs with hosts Jon Favreau (President Obama's former head speechwriter), Jon Lovett (Former speechwriter for Hillary Clinton and in the Obama White House), Dan Pfeiffer, and Tommy Vietor (formerly President Obama’s National Security Spokesman and Assistant White House Press Secretary). If you think President Trump is doing a great job so far, maybe don't watch this podcast--or do, for a nice dose of reality.

2.) Gilmore Guys

Name a more iconic duo, i'll wait. Hosts Kevin T. Porter and Demi Adejuyigbe anaylize each episode of Gilmore Girls and keep listeners up to date on everything Stars Hollow. Their notoriety even landed them a cameo in the recent revival!

3.) I Was There Too

Host Matt Gourley provides a fly on the wall perspective of blockbuster films by interviewing extras that had an inside look on how the movie was made.

4.) Call Your Girlfriend

Call Your Girlfriend describes itself as "a podcast for long-distance besties everywhere," hosted by Aminatou Sow (digital strategist and one of Forbes’ 30 Under 30 in tech) and Ann Friedman (a freelance journalist and New York magazine columnist). Every other week, Aminatou and Ann call each other to discuss the latest pop culture phenomenon and catch up on all the drama in politics. The hosts are unapologetically feminist and unafraid to get real. Long car rides can get lonely, but this podcast makes it feel like you're chatting with your two best friends.

5.) Psychobabble

At only 30 minutes per episode, you'll be able to consume so many episodes of Psychobabble on your way home and it's super easy to become addicted. YouTube star Tyler Oakley hosts with his best friend Korey Kuhl bring you what they describe as "a half hour of unfiltered gossip sessions, pop culture scrutiny, and stories never told before." I'm only three episodes in, and this podcast has already added a ton of new slang to my vernacular I hadn't even realized I picked up.

6.) Stuff You Should Know

From the tragedy of famine to the estate tax to quinoa, this podcast will keep you well informed on literally anything. Challenge: listen to something outside of your niche and learn something completely new! Thanks to this podcast, I now know how flea circuses work.

7.) Successful Dropout Podcast

When midterms become too much, listen to this podcast by Kylon Gienger. It features young individuals/entrepreneurs from across the globe that are making that coin and doing so without a college degree. The advice is useful regardless of what you want to pursue.

8.) Wittertainment

A podcast for film-buffs; two British guys discuss the latest in film with the occassional celebrity interview thrown in. The latest guests include: Denzel Washington, Hugh Jackman, and Keanu Reeves.

9.) Spirits: A Drunken Dive into Myths and Legends

This is a podcast all about myths and legends, with a bit of booze thrown in because who doesn't love a good double entendre? It’s hosted by storytellers Amanda McLoughlin and Julia Schifini who will make each episode feel like the coolest girl's night ever.

10.) Beautiful Stories From Anonymous People

A wholesome podcast, a nice pick-me-up on the long and winding rode home. I'll leave you with the website's description because it's honestly perfect the way it is: "one phone call, one hour. No names. No holds barred. That’s the premise behind Beautiful Stories from Anonymous People, hosted by comedian Chris Gethard. Every week, Chris opens the phone line to one anonymous caller, and he can’t hang up first, no matter what. From shocking confessions and family secrets to philosophical discussions and shameless self-promotion, anything can and will happen!" I KNOW RIGHT.

Bonus Podcast because it's my favorite: The West Wing Weekly

For a niche audience of The West Wing aficionados, The West Wing Weekly is hosted by TWW alumnus Joshua Malina (aka Will Bailey) and super-fan Hrishikesh Hirway. Each podcast analyzes a different episode in show order and often features a former cast member or expert on the topic they're discussing. It's a nice break from our current political climate. Also, Lin-Manuel Miranda likes it, so it must be good.