Dear Twitter & YouTube, Grow A Backbone

Dear Twitter & YouTube, Grow A Backbone

Websites will enforce their rules vigorously, as long as enforcing it doesn't hurt the bottom line.

22
Dear Twitter & YouTube, Grow A Backbone

We see them every time we open new account, whether it's a social media site, or signing up for a free trial of some product you have no intention of ever paying a monthly fee for (I don't do that, YOU do that....shut up). They are the terms of service, the governing rules of that site or service that you must follow in order to utilize it.

Most people don't read them, just quickly scroll by and hit accept. Only when they find themselves in violation of the ToS, will they realize what they are and what they mean. Accounts are suspended, timed out or outright deleted every day for doing things like showing or sharing offensive content, threatening other users or whatever other things that were outlined as inappropriate.

But what happens when upholding these terms of service comes into direct conflict with the profitability of your business? As we are finding out, what happens is that those iron-clad terms of service become a little softer.

The personification of 3-day old pizza crust we call a president likes to use Twitter. He likes to brag about his "accomplishments" and also disparage and lash out and....anyone he feels like really. With only that to go on, he really isn't that much different than anyone else on social media. And oh, how I wish it was that simple.

But time and time again the president has used Twitter to threaten nuclear war against the people of North Korea. Twitter's "Hateful Conduct Policy" states that the website does not tolerate "violent threats" and " references to mass murder, violent events or specific means of violence in which/with which such groups have been the primary targets or victims."

Trump clearly is in violation of that policy. And many, many people took to Twitter to voice their displeasure, to the point where Twitter had to publish a statement of its own. In it, they defend their decision not to delete the President's twitter, stating "Blocking a world leader from Twitter or removing their controversial Tweets would hide important information people should be able to see and debate. It would also not silence that leader, but it would certainly hamper necessary discussion around their words and actions."

This is what I would call #FakeNews.

The only worthwhile discussions that come from Donald Trump talking about his "big button" and threatening thousands of people with nuclear destruction are "Why hasn't someone taken away his phone yet?" and "I guess his penis must really be small." They are doing nothing to further the healthy political conversation in this country. They are keeping him because he drives people to their site, and keeps their name on the TV screens. That is all.

Last week, I wrote about Logan Paul, the effect of what happens when you surround someone with nothing but people who will say yes to everything that comes out of their mouth. Since the video was uploaded, people have been calling for Paul's channel to be deleted as it is clearly in violation of the site's ToS.

The state of YouTube is something that was already a controversial subject, with a recent change in their policy resulting in thousands of videos being demonetized for a variety of ambiguous reasons. With YouTube's apparent stance on making sure only the most family friendly content is getting ads attached to it, it seemed like a no-brainer that Logan Paul's channel would be removed as it was such an egregious and publicized violation.

But it was Paul himself who removed the video, not YouTube.

On top of that, YouTube allegedly reviewed the video manually, and deemed it ok to keep not only on the site but monetized for Paul. In the immediate aftermath, YouTube was virtually silent on the issue, only just recently releasing a statement that only made things more confusing.

They claim that the video violated their "Community Guidelines" and they "acted accordingly" but there is no evidence of YouTube doing anything in regards to the video besides allowing it to stay up until Logan himself took it down. They also say they "looking into further consequences," which could mean anything and that's the point. Because the Logan and his brother Jake are the golden boys of YouTube.

They star in movies, TV shows, and put their faces on merch that generates millions of dollars for both them and the site. Their videos always have millions of views, and the ad revenue for YouTube makes them all of a sudden very hesitant to swing that banhammer around.

No one should be above the rules. If you are found to be in violation of the law, you should be punished no matter or age, race, how much money you make etc. But just like in the real world, it seems those who are privileged are getting a free pass. Logan Paul shouldn't have a YouTube channel.

Donald Trump shouldn't have a Twitter account. And I shouldn't have to be writing this article. But Donald will keep tweeting, and eventually, Logan will start his daily vlogs again, and this will all become a distant memory until next time they do something terrible. Hopefully, by then, these social media platforms will have grown a spine and do the right thing.