What It's Like To Have A Sister That's Your 'Twin,' But Not Actually Your Twin

We were born 18 months apart, and have always been treated as twins.

132

My sister and I are just 18 months apart. Right now, she is only a semester behind me at the same college I attend. We have always been treated like twins — actually more like an entity than two separate people. My little brother only called us by one name for a few years at the beginning of his life. Having a sibling super close in age to you is such a unique experience. Here are some of the best joys and the biggest annoyances of having someone so close in age to you.

You have shared a room for the majority of your life

Re-decorating the room always broke out in a fight. So, your mom decided on a theme you both didn't like as the solution. But, you had late night conversations since you were able to communicate, so you guys have had the deepest conversations and know all there is to know about each other.

You had matching clothes

Ahhh, a 90's staple. But let's be real. Y'all didn't match growing up because it was a fashion trend. Y'all matched because your mom saw something that she liked at the store and bought it in two sizes for convenience sake. That's the real reason why you matched.

You had to share…well… everything

Ice cream. Scooters. Phone. Car. Friends. Joys. Sorrows. Tears. Laughs (lots of laughs).

You were known by your last name- not by each of your first names

We are not Allison or Megan. We are the Mallory girls.

You know every detail about the other person's life

If you are holding something back, they can already tell what it is because they can read your mind. I still can't figure out if this one is really cool, or really annoying.

You can depend on them

Nobody is going to have your back like they do. They have walked through every situation you have experienced in your life with you. They know you better than you know yourself at times, and that is a really good thing. Especially when they can tell you are hungry and you can't even tell yourself. #tacos

You say the exact same thing at the same time all of the time

In the same tone. With the same timing. If freaks everyone else out but you two get in a laughing fit when it happens.

You compliment each other

She is the math person and I am the English person. She is the silly one, I am the one that laughs at her silliness. She is the calm one, I am the emotional one.

Nobody understands your sense of humor like they do

Cracking a joke that only they would understand when they aren't there because they are always usually there and you don't realize they aren't there until nobody laughs. Awkkkkward. It also crushes your soul to realize they just missed the most humorous part of your day.

They know how to piss you off the most

Every. Single. Dang. Button. Is well known to them. And they push them all.

You can't imagine life without them

They are your best friend, partner in crime, study buddy, meal partner, workout partner, roommate, counselor and shoulder to cry on all in one!