20 Things I Want To Learn And Remember In My 20s

My 20th birthday is fast approaching, and I want this next decade to be my best one yet.

670
123rf

In a few short days, I'll forever leave my teenage years behind and finally become a twentysomething. While being a teen came with major ups and downs, the simplicity of life and availability to grow is something I'll likely never experience again. As I pass over into this next stage of life, there are some goals I want to have for myself. These 20 things will hopefully make me a happier more fulfilled woman.

1. Learn to say no...

I’ve always been a people pleaser, but it’s important for my well-being that I’m able to say no to things that are not good for me. This could be responsibilities, relationships, jobs, or any other experiences.

2. ... and yes

As contradictory as it sounds, there have been situations where I’ve held back, In the future, I don’t want fear to control my life. I’d much rather regret a decision than regret having never experienced it. As scary as this can sometimes be, I know I’ll be a more fulfilled person.

3. Make my closet my own

I have plenty of clothes, but much of the items are things bought for me by others that I just wear because they're there. In my twenties I want every item to represent my personal style. Not only will this help me develop my fashion sense, but it will allow me to learn more about my personal aesthetics.

4. Become a better daughter

In my teen years, my parents put up with a lot of bad attitudes and overall BS from me. I want to repay them by doing more for them and being a better example for my brother.

5. Learn to worry less.

Will I get into college? Will a guy ask me out? Am I going to fail? All of this anxious worrying is one thing I definitely want to learn to overcome. I'm trying to learn to plan ahead and become more organized so I will have fewer situations like these to worry about.

6. Put happiness first

Life is short. Twenty years have flown by in a blink of an eye. I don’t want to turn around at 50 and realize I have lived a miserable life. If I can be anything in this world, I want to be happy. My goal and dream are to what makes me happy and chase it.

7. Find a job that I get excited to go to every day

After college, I’ll (hopefully) join the workforce. There’s a lot of jobs out there that I could do, but only a select few that I’ll actually enjoy. While paying the bills is the main goal, my happiness and well-being shouldn’t be sacrificed just for money. I want to be genuinely happy in my profession.

8. Watch more sunsets

One sure way I can be happier is by appreciating the little things in my life. Every day has hundreds of small but amazing moments that I often overlook. In the next 10 years, I want to learn how not only admire them but seek them out.

9. Learn what I need in a boyfriend

I’ve already experienced a bit of heartbreak, and I’m sure I’ll experience even more. Every broken heart teaches me what kind of man I want in my life. There’s a real chance I could be married by the time I turn 30, and I need to be prepared for finding the right person to become my other half.

10. Travel as much as I can

I want to go around the world; Europe, Asia, Africa, anywhere and everywhere. I want to experience culture shock in places that seem alien to me. I want to feel tiny in this big world, yet feel connected to so many different places and people. Before I settle down, if I ever do, I want to have seen the world first.

11. Find peace

This sounds like a big step, and it is, but it's doable. Finding peace doesn't mean I have to start searching for Nirvana. I want to accept myself, my life, and my place within the world. Finding peace and stop fighting with myself will give me more time and energy to focus on bigger and better things.

12. Conquer something that scares me

I have some silly fears, like heights and spiders, but also some big ones, like being abandoned and failure. Like I said earlier, fear will no longer control my life. If I can get over one fear, even one as silly as spiders, that will be an accomplishment. I’ll become a stronger person.

13. Learn to be alone

One of my biggest fears is being alone. Loneliness has haunted me for a long time, and my subconscious is terrified of being left to its own devices. As I enter my next decade of life I want to spend more time alone, and still enjoy it. The only person I’m guaranteed to have forever is myself, so I need to become my own best friend.

14. Spend more time with God

Religion, sadly, wasn’t my main focus as a teenager. I doubt many teens are the Christians they should be. With a little bit of living behind me, I want to turn back to Jesus and focus on his message and love and work to share it with others.

15. Go into nature more

As a kid, I was always outside, and I miss the feeling of grass between my toes and sunshine on my skin. I want to experience that more often. Even the small change of doing my homework outside instead of in the library will give me the chance to breathe in some fresh air and enjoy the outdoors.

16. Start wearing the red dress

Many mornings before I leave the house, I’ll be standing in front of the mirror in an outfit I love, but then I feel its too risky to wear. Maybe it’s too bright, or too tight, or too much, and I throw on the same old outfit I always wear. In my 20s I want to be brave enough to wear what I want, regardless of what others think.

17. Find my people

I’ve been told the friends I make in my twenties will stay with me for life. I’m so excited to meet those people if I haven’t already. Instead of putting up with unhealthy people, I want to find really genuine friends to share my life with.

18. Learn to manage my finances

If there’s one thing I am clueless about, it’s money. I know how to spend it and I’m working on how to earn it, but everything else is a mystery to me. As I become financially independent it’ll be more important for me to be able to understand what to do with my income, and if there’s any way to make it go a bit farther.

19. Don’t forget my younger self

Despite putting my teenage years behind me, I don’t want to forget them. I never want to be the kind of adult that acts like I never was a kid. Yes, there was some bad things that happened, but there was a lot of good. There will never be a time where I will be so free to learn and experience. That’s not a feeling I want to lose, but instead I plan to embrace it.

20. Enjoy everything while it lasts

Someday soon I’ll look back at myself now and wish I could be 19 again, just as I look back now and sometimes wish I was 16. There’s no pause button on life, so I have to enjoy every second, even the bad ones. My twenties are going to have good and bad times as well, but at some point I’ll miss them, so I will cherish them while I can.