20 Priceless Lessons I Have Learned As I Turn 20 Years Old

11. Be gentle with yourself.

535
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/01/16/636517338242280989-582021049_636512180230230133-982537272_IMG_3380.JPG

I am officially twenty-years-old, even saying that makes it feel surreal. For it does not feel that I have been on this earth for two decades. In the time that I have been in this world, I want to share the twenty lessons I have learned and hope that it will help you in some way.

1. You are beautiful.

Please never forget this. Stop comparing yourself to those on social media.

2. You must always come first.

It's easy to put other's happiness in front of your own, but it's time to put yourself first. You are the most important and you must carry your heart with care.

3. People are going to let you down and you just have to keep on moving.

It's inevitable and it can be absolutely heartbreaking, but you have to keep pushing through. Trust me, it will be worth it all.

4. Don't easily trust.

I had a very naive faith in every person I met as a kid. From situations, I learned that you should not put your trust in someone else's hands so easily.

5. You will make mistakes in your life, do not put yourself down about them.

It's a part of life. You are going to fail and it's okay. Mistakes and failures lead to the most magnificent changes in your life.

6. The people who have stuck by your side through the worst of situations, are most likely the people you can trust.

They have seen you at worst, held your hand through your worst, and supported you at your worst. Chances are these people have good intentions.

7. Try new things.

Always open yourself up to new experiences, new foods, new ways of life, etc. If anything, it will teach you more about yourself.

8. Be true to yourself.

It's easy to succumb to the pressures of society and those around you. Always remain true to yourself, that will give you the most happiness.

9. Learn to constantly improve yourself.

You may think that you are at the top of your game whether it's doing well in your job, school, in sports, or hobbies. But always aim to improve yourself, gain better techniques, tips, and skills.

10. Do not let your heart fall into the hands of someone who will not take care of it.

Whether it's in friendships or relationships, be careful. Make sure the reciprocation of love is shown.

11. Be gentle with yourself.

You are not perfect and never will be. Do not put these pressures on to yourself. You were gently crafted to be your best self.

12. Disappointment from others is inevitable, stop trying to prevent it.

You may try to avoid certain situations and people by never facing them, but that is not going to solve anything. You must face your problems with courage.

13. If you fail, celebrate.

For endings also bring beginnings. The more failures you have, the more successful you will be.

14. Never keep that smile off your face.

No matter what people may do to make you unhappy, shine that smile right back at them and keep on going.

15. Appreciate your family.

Trust me, they are the most important people in your life. The moments you spend with them are ones you will cherish, always.

16. Spend less time on your phone and more time with the people you love.

It's common to get caught up in what is happening on your phone and in social media and forget about the people that are actually with you. Put the phone down and truly appreciate the people you surround yourself with.

17. Take care of yourself.

If you don't have your physical or mental health, you don't have anything. You need both in order to live your life to the very best.

18. Fall in love with yourself.

As cliche as that may be, love every part of yourself. Every flaw. Every beauty. You are truly incredible and amazing. Fall in love with yourself and in turn, you can find someone who loves you just as much.

19. Be kind.

Always. Being kind is never wrong. It brings a warmth to your life and it gifts you with extraordinary people.

20. Stand up for what you believe in.

In a time where there is so platforms to express your opinions, it is a time more than ever, to stand up for what you believe is right.