Treat Yourself To These "Twelve Days of Christmas" Homemade Sweets

Embrace the holiday spirit by making twelve different desserts leading up to the Christmas season.

58
Photo by Monika Grabkowska on Unsplash

With the holiday season approaching quickly, a majority of society has started blaring the song "Jingle Bells" from their speakers and singing along shamelessly. Hallmark movies and Freeform's 25 Days of Christmas event specials dominates the television screen. Plus, twinkling Christmas lights are sprouting up all over the neighborhood houses. To match the joyful seasonal demeanor, here are twelve holiday treats to make and share with those you love. Start your "Twelve Days of Christmas" off right with these Christmas treats, or make them whenever you want the joyous holiday spirit in your life.

On the FIRST day of Christmas, you decide to make…

Chocolate Covered Pretzels!

Photo by Meritt Thomas on Unsplash

Chocolate covered pretzels are a quick delicious treat to make when an individual has minimal time but wants a sweet snack! Depending on a person's preference, pretzel rods or pretzel twists could be used for the recipe. Similar to the pretzel type, the food preparer also gets to decide which type of chocolate and decorations to utilize during the baking process.

To make chocolate covered pretzels, the first step is to heat up the chocolate in either the stove or microwave, depending on one's time restraints. The pretzels can then be dipped by hand or through the use of a spoon to avoid messy hands. Once covered in chocolates, a person could decorate the delicious treat any way they want.

In order to make the treat Christmassy, use red and green sprinkles to add a pop of the holiday colors. Another option is to cover the pretzels in green and red candies, like M&M's chocolates or broken-up candy canes, could be drizzled on top of the chocolate. Finally, my last recommendation is to try using icing or melted chocolate which could give the treats a special spark of the holiday spirit.

On the SECOND day of Christmas, you decide to make…

Peppermint Bark!

Photo by Kelly Sikkema on Unsplash

What are the holidays without peppermint, especially peppermint bark? Check out the following recipes for some inspiration on how to make peppermint bark this season.

Food Network's Famous Peppermint Bark

Peppermint Bark from Delish.com

Peppermint Bark from Tasty

On the THIRD day of Christmas, you decide to make…

Sugar Cookies!

Photo by Kari Shea on Unsplash

Sugar cookies are a traditional Christmas staple. This year, when you are making the sugary cookie batches, improve your decorating style to make them more spirited. Why not use some fun cookie cutters to give your cookies an extra dash of Christmas spirit? To add a personal touch, you could use stamps to ingrain words or images into the cookies before they bake as well.

There are also ways to improve the cookie's quality through the process of icing. Instead of icing the complete cookie, only frost certain areas and pour glittery sprinkles on top. Icing only the sides of the cookies allows bakers to put sprinkles, nuts, coconuts, peppermints, or candies along the edges of the cookie. Making or using a dip for the cookies is another way to enhance their sugary flavor. Instead of icing the cookies, people could use simple concoctions like melted chocolate or Nutella.

On the FOURTH day of Christmas, you decide to make…

Truffles!

Photo by Yulia Khlebnikova on Unsplash

Unlike the mushroom that shares the same name, chocolate truffle desserts are universally loved and cherished. With minimal ingredients and simple instructions, these are a go-to dessert. Check out the following recipes for inspiration.

Cookies & Cream Truffles from Tasty

8 Easy Truffle Recipes

On the FIFTH day of Christmas, you decide to make…

Sweet Christmas Trail Mix!

Photo by Fran Jacquier on Unsplash

Trail mix is a great pick-me-up to eat while running Christmas errands and getting the final details completed. The best part about trail mix is that it can be altered to meet your specific tastes. For your Christmas mix, try adding a mixture of the following ingredients together: peanuts, pretzels, Chex cereal, chocolate bites, peanut butter cups, red and green chocolate candies, peanut butter chips, dried banana, Cheerios, and Muddy Buddies. Take your favorite items, mix them together, and have a sweet treat to get you through the season.

On the SIXTH day of Christmas, you decide to make…

Chocolate Covered Strawberries!

Photo by Serghei Savchiuc on Unsplash

Since strawberries are fruit, chocolate covered strawberries allow taste-testers and dessert connoisseurs to feel healthy as they consume their dessert of the day. To make chocolate covered strawberries, follow the same instructions as for the chocolate covered pretzels. Here is a recipe to try: Food Network's Chocolate Covered Strawberries!

On the SEVENTH day of Christmas, you decide to make…

Fruit Parfait!

Photo by Alisha Hieb on Unsplash

Continuing with a healthier dessert option, try making a delicious fruit parfait. Strawberries, bananas, blueberries, and blackberries typically work the best in these deserts; however, any fruit can be incorporated. In between the fruit, incorporate a whipped topping or a yogurt base to give your meal another dimension. Get inspiration from the following recipes.

Taste of Homes: Fresh Fruit Parfaits

Food Network's Yogurt and Fruit Parfaits

On the EIGHTH day of Christmas, you decide to make…

Holiday Pie!

Photo by Alex Loup on Unsplash

Holidays would not be complete without pie. From apple and pumpkin to chocolate and graham cracker, there is a pie combination for everyone. To try some new recipes, click the links below.

Taste of Home: Apple Pie

Perfect Pumpkin Pie

Delish Mint Chocolate Chip Pie

18 Tasty Pie Recipes

On the NINETH day of Christmas, you decide to make…

Christmas-Inspired Cake Pops!

Photo by Marisa Morton on Unsplash

Cake pops allow people to eat a moderate amount of cake without worrying about overeating. On all fronts, they act as the perfect snack. For instance, cake pops are easily transportable and can be taken anywhere, especially when people are in a hurry and need to rush out the door. Moreover, being pre-portioned, the desserts are also great for individuals trying to diet during the holiday season. You can find the recipe for these versatile treats below.

Sally's Baking Addiction Homemade Cake Pops

Food Network Cake Pops

Divas Can Cook: Easy Cake Pops

On the TENTH day of Christmas, you decide to make…

Fruit Salsa Dip!

Photo by Tiago Faifa on Unsplash

Fruit dip is the perfect way to reminisce on the warm summer months while still enjoying the holiday season. Just like many of the other recipes, the ingredients utilized can be shifted and altered to meet individual tastes. To make fruit salsa follow one of these two recipes, or try to improvise and make something special.

Allrecipes.com: Fruit Salsa and Cinnamon Chips

The Girl Who Ate Everything Fruit Salsa

On the ELEVENTH day of Christmas, you decide to make…

Brownies!

Photo by Shania Pinnata on Unsplash

Whether you like the corner pieces or those situated in the middle, most people can agree that chocolatey brownies are a delicious treat during all times of the year. Therefore, why not make this beloved treat during the holiday season and spice it up with holiday colors and toppings? Fruits like strawberries and raspberries provide a splash of holiday color to the sugary treats. If a person would like to enhance the sugariness of the brownie, adding colorful candies or icings is another way to go. Below are three raved brownie recipes to start the holiday season off with. Simply spice up these treats to get more in the holiday spirit.

Allrecipes.com: Best Brownie Recipe

Love and Lemons Homemade Brownies

Tasty Brownies

On the TWELFTH day of Christmas, you decide to make…

Gingerbread Men!

Photo by Oriol Portell on Unsplash

For the twelfth and "final" day of Christmas, make gingerbread people or a gingerbread house to let your creativity shine through and your taste buds delighted. Making these treats is a seasonal bucket-list must-have for children and adults alike. Many families even compete to see who can make the best decorated cookie, and maybe you can incorporate this tradition into your holiday fun this year. Here are two resources to help with this venture.

Taste of Home Gingerbread Cutout Cookies

Taste of Home Gingerbread Decorating Ideas

Now that you've completed all twelve desserts, you can continue spreading merry and jolly seasonal cheer around. Enjoy the treats and the memories.