'Twas The Week After Bedlam...

'Twas The Week After Bedlam...

And all through the land, not an OU fan not bragging, not even the band.

9
'Twas The Week After Bedlam...
Google

Bedlam - noun. a scene of uproar and confusion… aka, an event between the University of Oklahoma and Oklahoma State University that brings people either together or apart.

If you’re not from Oklahoma, and you weren’t raised Sooner bred or bleeding orange, then to answer your question, yes, this whole game is always dramatic. Not only does OSU like to be a second half team, OU fans like to bring up years past rather than focus on the game that’s happening in the present.

But this year, it was supposed to be different. The two rivals were supposed to put on a good show, not a total domination by one. Looking at OSU’s season, the team was destined to go far. With a win against every team leading up to the Big 3, beating TCU put us in high hopes of beating the next two enemies: Baylor and OU. With the Big 12 rankings making every Stillwater resident irritated, we argued with Sooners how they were ranked 3 when we weren’t even in the top 10. Arguing between Pokes and Sooners is normal, though. It’s what creates the atmosphere of Bedlam.

Looking at the Sooners season, it also looked good. With a win against Baylor and TCU, but a loss to Texas, OU and OSU were equals with our win/loss record. Not getting into the statistics of each game won by both teams, Bedlam was supposed to be a great turnout. College Gameday was present and everyone was excited for 7 o’clock to roll around. Then the game started.

Starting the Saturday off with light snow and a temperature of 36 degrees, it was already becoming hard to have pride for your team. The day of tailgating passed quickly, tents being torn down exceptionally early because of the cold. The bleachers were stacked high with Orange and Crimson, everyone putting their fake smiles on for each other as they passed the opposing team. Long lost friends were reunited, wearing different colors, but still liking the person enough to deal with their team. Then the action started.

OSU is known for being a second half team, like I stated earlier, but they sadly let us down with that stress-filled scenario. They kicked a field goal to start the game off with points, but only gained 20 more points for the final score. OU quickly gained on us, doubling our points by the end of the game. The bleachers were emptying out as the game progressed, slowly filling Boone Pickens with just Crimson colors – a sight I don’t ever want to see again, might I add.

Now, the day after Bedlam, Pokes fans are just waiting for those snarky texts and comments on social media about how much the Sooners won by. Don’t get me wrong, if OSU had won, comments would be reversed right back to OU. And honestly, it wouldn’t be Bedlam without it having entertaining arguments on Facebook about who’s the better team.

P.S. I’m a Pokes fan but #Baker4Heisman (just giving credit where it’s due).