'Schitt's Creek' Fans Are More Likely To Get A Dating App Match

'Schitt's Creek' Fans Are More Likely To Get A Dating App Match, And I Love That For Me

BRB, adding a Moira quote to my profile.

11141

Surprise surprise, bebes! If you're on a dating app and looking for something to draw the attention of prospective lovers, it's time to add in some of your favorite TV show references and let the matches roll in, especially if you're obsessed with "Schitt's Creek" and/or "The Office."

Because after the dating app Ship rolled out its Top Shows profile feature, they discovered that people with certain television shows mentioned in their bios actually had increased chances of getting matches. Data from the app showed that these are the top 10 shows to increase your chances of finding love:

1. "The Office"
  2. "Schitt's Creek"
  3. "Game of Thrones"
  4. "The Boys"
  5. "Friends"
  6. "Breaking Bad"
  7. "Stranger Things"
  8. "Rick and Morty"
  9. "The Umbrella Academy"
  10. "Parks and Recreation"
While the list itself seems not all that surprising considering how popular these shows are, having "Schitt's Creek" continually showing up at the top of the list truly gives me joy. I love this journey for me.

Since these shows are so popular, asking your match about them to get a sense of how compatible you'd be is a great starting point. After all, what's better than having similar interests to connect on so the conversation flows naturally right from the start? Not much, if we're being honest. So I chatted with Ship's co-founder and Betches' founder, Jordana Abraham, to hear her thoughts on using pop culture to build connection. Here's everything she had to say so you can up your dating game.

Q. What types of questions about pop culture are best to ask when trying to get to know someone?

"It's smart to talk about all aspects of pop culture, not just who their favorite Kardashian is. Ask questions about the TV shows they binged, their go-to playlist, favorite book, or even the last movie they saw in an actual movie theatre. It's good to get a full picture of all their interest and likes as it relates to pop culture.

You can also ask what aspects of pop culture they don't follow closely. If they're not into reality TV or 'Bravolebrities' at least you can avoid that awkward conversation when you bring it up The Real Housewives marathon you just finished. Plus, you can spend more time discussing what you both like and figuring out if you have enough shared values to actually be a good match."

Q. Why do you think TV shows play such a big part in a match's compatibility?

"TV is such a big part of how people spend their downtime and how most couples spend their time together when they're not out on a date. With the colder weather approaching, binge TV season is right around the corner and it's important to find matches that enjoy watching some of the same types of shows to have the best binging experience. Nothing kills the vibe more on a night in than spending hours deciding watch to watch without actually watching anything."

Q. Should dating app users include pop culture references on their profiles? What are the benefits and drawbacks of doing so?

"Sure! If pop culture is a big part of a dater's life, but there needs to be a balance. Daters shouldn't only use movie quotes and references to describe themselves. The perk of referencing pop culture or a favorite TV show in a dating profile is that it creates an initial icebreaker and window of opportunity to start up a conversation.

On Ship, we've seen many users list or reference their favorite shows in their profiles, so much so that it inspired us to create an in-app feature to highlight them. In fact, daters who add the Top Shows feature to their profile are twice as likely to get a match."

Q. Are there any red flags to look out for when chatting about pop culture preferences?

"Red flags are dependent on the dater and their personal pet-peeves, but I'd stay clear of anyone that refers to a fictional character as their spirit animal."

Follow Swoon on Instagram.