Turkey On Thanksgiving Shouldn't Be Your Only Tradition

Try out these new traditions to change up this Thanksgiving season.

48
Unsplash

No one can deny that this is the best time of the year -- leaves are changing, the weather is finally has a cool crispness to it, and you're probably breaking out those dusty flannels or cozy sweaters. It's hard not daydreaming about that Thanksgiving dinner super early. I mean face it, the first of November hit and here we are ready to stuff our faces with green bean casserole, toasted rolls, stuffing and savory pumpkin pie. Nonetheless, here are a few Thanksgiving traditions you should consider investing in for this 154-year-old national holiday:

Food Related Traditions

1. Men in the kitchen

Let us face it, all the women come together in a crowded kitchen and cook the meal while the men watch football, but we all know they're really gossiping. Maybe switch up this "tradition" and allow for the men to gather in one kitchen and get creative . . . This is their time to shine in the kitchen and whip up those mashed potatoes. Who knows, you may be surprised by how good Thanksgiving dinner comes out or it might very well end in ordering Chinese take-out.

2. Make different cultural foods

Try interesting, tasty foods from different cultures every Thanksgiving. I.e. Tamales (Mexican), Chicken Tikka Masala (Indian), Kung Pao/grilled prawn (Thai).

3. Pull out old family recipes from years past

Spicy deviled-eggs or freezer jam that compliments those delicious homemade biscuits and butter. Start adding new dishes every Thanksgiving to your own family recipe book, it's never too late!

4. Set up a pie bar

Set up a table of pies galore -- pumpkin, pecan, apple, blueberry, etc. Don't forget the whipped cream, ice cream, sprinkles, cherries, and everything else that may be good on a piece of that scrumptious pie.

5. Ohhh, or a hot chocolate bar

Since it is cold, a hot chocolate bar may be a good tradition as well, with the same concept of the pie bar. Think of all the hot chocolate possibilities, caramel, vanilla, mint, etc. all overflowing with gushy marshmallows.

Before Dinner Traditions

6. Watching Football

At this point, it should be a sin to not have the football game on, but if you haven't done so already, this is a tradition that can be adopted. It allows for the family to gather around and have some quality bonding time over the sport.

7. Watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade

Even if it's on before the family arrives, it's nice to watch the parade while you're making the finishing touches to your festive fall dinner table or to the sweetness of your pies. If you don't already, well start this year. It definitely gets you into the Thanksgiving spirit! Seeing all of the fun-loving blimps and fall floats, there's a reason these holidays are the best time of the year.

8. Pray around your food

Even if it the one time you Pray, I think it's important to hold each other's hands around the dinner table and give thanks.

9. Saying what we're thankful for

Of course, this would be a given but I am even guilty of not always expressing what I am thankful for every Thanksgiving. An easy way to make it a tradition is by making a game out of it. Here's an idea: by putting a few words in a hat and picking one to express what you're thankful for around that word allows for creativity and exciting responses!

After Dinner Traditions

10. Breaking a wishbone

Let's gather around the table and break a wishbone. Too bad there isn't more than one, that luck is much needed.

11. Going to the theater

This way, if there were any heated disputes during dinner, you can sit in a dark theater and not communicate. Problem solved!

12. Play old board games or cards

Poker, Uno, Monopoly . . . You know, the games that ruin relationships and establish longlasting family feuds!

13. Play video games

Wii bowling and guitar hero, these fun games where we can cheer each other on are always a great family bonding moment.

14. Go watch the Sunset

I love eating food as much as I love watching the sunset. But I also hate feeling full after eating all day -- there's a simple fix to this. Take a walk or hike, if weather permits, and watch the sunset and work off that full stomach!

15. Pass around family photo albums

Because you know your great grandma didn't take hours putting those colossal photos albums complied with treasured family memories together for nothing.

16. Watch old family videos

You know, the ones that were recorded on those big bulky recorders -- the ones making you blush with embarrassment.

17. Build gingerbread houses

Make it a competition among the kids and adults -- see whose house has the most gumdrops, frosting, and candy canes This tradition will keep you entertained for at least some time while dinner settles and it's time for pie.

18. Pass around Christmas Catalogs

My cousins and I used to do this as kids -- we would grab a Kmart or Toys-R-Us catalog and initial what we wanted by that awesome new toy or as I got older those iPods! It will work with adults as well, but now with the Victoria Secret and Dick's Sporting Goods App!

Other Fun Traditions

19. Have a theme for Thanksgiving

I mean how freakin' cool would it be if you did a mascaraed Thanksgiving dinner?! Seriously spice it up a bit for the holidays, you have so many opportunities to throw a corky Thanksgiving -- go camping, have a Luau, the sky is the limit.

20. Wear matching flannel pajamas around the fire

Matching flannels are cool, you know you'll already have the fire on. Why not take this tradition and the first tradition and make it one?!

21. Take a family or friend vacation

Treat yourself on Thanksgiving, instead of bending over backward every year hosting Thanksgiving or spending money on that turkey. Take a trip, even if it's just in the next town over.

22. Put up your Christmas tree

This may be stretching it little but what a better way of ending Thanksgiving night than to put up your Christmas Tree with you close family and friends. I mean, after this night, it's basically Christmas anyhow!