Trying to Find My 'Forever' Job

Trying to Find My 'Forever' Job

It’s a harsh reality realizing that finding that forever job is harder than it looks.

54
Trying to Find My 'Forever' Job

Almost a full year has passed since graduating college and many things have changed. From moving out to finding a steady job. But it’s not my dream job. It’s not what I went to school for nor where I find myself when I’m 50 years old.

But that’s not to say I don’t enjoy my job, I’m lucky enough to enjoy where I work. However, I’m still looking for my “forever” job. From that search, I’ve learned some very important lessons about trying to better myself in the workforce.

One of the frustrating things about searching for jobs is the misleading titles given when searching online. After getting my hopes up only to find that the job was selling cell phones door to door was disheartening and lowered my morale in ever finding a job. It made me wary of any job that seemed too good to be true, and it made me overthink about whether or not to give out my information on an application. It was truly infuriating.

What was more infuriating was that false advertising was so over the top regarding requirements jobs had listed. Most entry level salary positions I’ve applied for needed at least three years experience in the field I studied for. That’s more than half my college education. It would be impossible for me to have a full-time job, play college tennis and maintain an acceptable GPA to compete. So acquiring three years’ experience was not in the cards for me. People who can accomplish this astonish me.

Something even more astonishing is that no matter how hard I try, it’s almost impossible to keep my resume on one page while still making myself seem appealing to employers. It’s the Hunger Games for choosing what is imperative to my resume and what isn’t.

But lastly, what is most frustrating is that it doesn’t really seem like all my hard work in school is paying off. With all applications requiring workforce experience where I spent four of the last five years in school trying to focus on playing tennis to afford my education, finding out that today’s society isn’t mainly about education left me with doubts.

Should I have tried for more internships and sacrificed study time?

Would I have found a job by now if I did?

I had so many looming questions in my mind that were nagging at me because they were things I couldn’t change and more importantly because when I thought about it; they were unrealistic. I did one internship for a single semester in college, and it was beyond stressful with the hectic schedule I was given from tennis and school. Thinking back, I remembered why I could never carry on with that schedule more than one semester.

That’s why today, I have to maneuver through the minefield that is the job search with what I have to offer. I was lucky to receive an education at all, and there is an employer out there with a job for me that can understand my situation. I’ll just have to sift through more cell phone salesman scams to find it.