Truths From Essena O'Niell We All Need To Hear

4

"We were told we had made it, but none of it was real."

Last night 18-year-old Australian Instagram model Essena O'Niell proved that that life isn't worth the hype and decided the social media career she had built for herself of the past couple of years was unfulfilling. In her last YouTube video, she describes her terrifying realization of how Instagram distorted her sense of reality and self confidence. As strange as it is to hear a girl my age describe how much she despises her need for Instagram likes, O'Niell is not telling every teen to delete their social media accounts but tries to emphasize how far the world of social media is from reality and she makes some good points.

1. The ideal life most internet personalities show through instagram feeds are nothing more perfectly crafted facades

2. Instafamous accounts are paid to place or promote certain products in their posts without telling their followers

3. Don't just "do it for the insta."

Life is about the experiences you have, not about how good your Instagram post is at the end of the day.

4. "Internet personality" is not a real profession.

O'neill got sucked into the bubble of Internet fame at a young age and realized that there is really no successful future in being Instagram famous.

5. Likes don't define your self worth and should't limit your happiness.

6. Instagram isn't a talent or a profession.

7. You don't know someone just because you follow them on Instagram.

She describes her own personal experience battling depression due to lack of likes and witnessing the same effect in others more "famous" than her.

8. Praise on social media will never be as fulfilling as real life interactions.

9. Just because someone has more followers doesn't mean they are better; numbers don't matter.

10. Stop worrying about who you're following and build relationships with the people who mean something to you in real life.

Of course many of us will not go and delete our Instagram accounts, but at least Essena O'Niell has forced us to consider next time we're obsessing over the taking the perfect sunset picture and picking a complementing filter that it's not worth the stress.