The Truth About Freshman Orientation

The Truth About Freshman Orientation

As illustrated by Jim Halpert's facial expressions.

165
The Truth About Freshman Orientation
Fanpop

Look at you, you’ve made it to college! You’ve probably got all kinds of new clothes, some anxiety, multicolored sticky notes, and lots of expectations.

And I’m here to serve you some truth: Your new clothes look awesome, some of your anxieties are founded, you will definitely lose that sticky note pad in a few weeks, and some of your expectations are going to be different in reality.

And concerning the latter, let’s talk about the first expectation that will be proved wrong: freshman orientation.

Freshman orientation can be a challenging, rewarding time for all incoming college students, but, in all honesty, some of your experiences will not play out like you imagined on the drive to the university.

You May Not Instantly Connect With Your Roommate

In movies, when roomies meet for the first time, they instantly talk and act like old friends. Or better yet, the roommates are high-school best friends and get the same room assignment. However, for many of you, you’ll blindly open that tan, wooden door and hope for the best. And you may not instantly connect. And that’s OK. Try to find something you and your roommate both adore or (better yet) hate, and then talk about that something until things feel comfortable.

(But if you do find a fire roomie, never let them go.)

You Will Probably Find Yourself Alone in the Caf

Listen, you’re going to get hungry, and you’re probably not going to have a solid group of friends yet. But you have a tray and you need to sit down to eat. So you’re probably going to have to ask someone random if you can sit with him or her, and that’s probably going to be a little awkward. But cheer up! Random and awkward lunches are going to happen during orientation, so find someone who looks a little lonely and try to make a new friend.

You’re Going to Make Some Friends You’ll Never Talk to Again

Yeah, during orientation, you’re going to be put into a million different groups for games and tours and scavenger hunts. And within each group, you’ll probably try to find a friend so you have someone to talk with. However, you’ll definitely lose touch with a couple of those “group friends” throughout the remainder of orientation, and then, when you see them in the library around exams, you’ll try not to make too much eye contact because you have no idea what to say to someone you talked to once four months ago.

You Might Feel Little Lonely and Homesick

No one goes into the first week of college expecting to feel a little depressed. But for many incoming freshmen, a little melancholy or loneliness is inevitable and completely normal. College is an exciting, new world where you’ll make life long friends, have all kinds of fun, and start your independent, adult life, but many freshmen expect all those experiences within the very first week. And that expectation can lead to some serious sadness when you feel a little homesick. So, if you are feeling a little lonely during orientation, just remember that you’re not the only one feeling that way and college is only going to get better.

You’ll Probably Learn a Lot More Than You Thought You Would

You’re going to learn a lot about yourself. You’ll learn if you’re into playing team building games. If you like cafeteria food. If you’re as introverted or extroverted as you thought. If you’re brave enough to talk to random people. If you’re as ready to be an adult as you felt you were in high school. And out of all the things you learn, the names of your university’s buildings are probably the most immediately important.