The Truth about Rom-Com's

The Truth about Rom-Com's

False Hope or the Right Kind of Encouragement?

13
The Truth about Rom-Com's

Everyone loves a good romantic comedy. How to Lose A Guy in 10 Days, 50 First Dates, Valentine’s Day, No Strings Attached, and 500 Days of Summer are just a few of my favorites. 

They warm our hearts, make us smile, make us cry, and give us faith that someday we, too, could have a movie-worthy love story like theirs.

But what rom-com's do to us girls that we only show in secret (or in front of fellow females), is turn us into angry, bitter monsters. We get so upset when we up our expectations and then watch them remain anything but lived up to once we find ourselves in a relationship. We assume that boys just don’t understand how we want to be treated and looked at. We all claim that rom-com's give us false hope and that the prince charming portrayed in the movie would never exist in real life. But is that the true message of a rom-com? 

I've been on this mission, so to say, to change my outlook on a bunch of different aspects of life. I want to find the bright side of every situation. I want to learn from my mistakes. I want to have the utmost faith in my peers, yet keep my expectations low at the same time to prevent disappointment. For times when I do get disappointed, I want to allow myself an appropriate amount of time to hurt and heal, but not so much that it pushes me to the point of dwelling on the situation.

Anyway, here I am, watching romcoms and engagement videos one inch away from the screen with hearts in my eyes. And while I sit here and watch these people fall in love and hope that this happens to me one day, I am deciding to not be jealous. I am changing my mindset to see the movies as the right kind of encouragement to wait for a relationship like that, rather than viewing them as some taunting love story that will never become reality. As Katy Perry said in here Part of Me movie in regards to her outlook on the divorce with Russell Brand, “If you can believe in something great, then you can achieve something great.” 

So, ladies, sit back, relax, and don’t settle just because you want to feel like you’re in love. Watch romantic comedies, and laugh, cry, and bond with the characters. Let them inspire you to keep striving for what you deserve. Fairytales do come true!