Trump’s Victory Spurs The Resurgence Of The Alternative Right Movement

In the wake of a Trump victory, white-supremacist groups are on the rise, rapidly gaining momentum and spreading fear.

6
National Review

The historical upset of Donald Trump's victory over Hillary Clinton has left us speechless. Not simply from a stance of politics, but from a stance of humanity. After all, how could Clinton have been so bad to give Trump the vote? This historical upset is rooted in our understanding of human decency, as well as the political atmosphere that we choose to associate ourselves with. It leads us to create our own secure microcosm to share our political thoughts, fears and desires. However, this isn’t about political bonding. It’s about the outcome of our current election and what this means for people, more specifically speaking, what this means for people of color and marginalized communities. These are the groups that will be impacted by the rapidly rising alternative right movement.

The charged political atmosphere as a reaction to Trump’s presidency isn’t just constrained to liberal revolt. The alternative right has gained a large amount of traction due to the current political atmosphere which has been incited by Donald Trump’s rhetoric. However, Trump disavowed the endorsement of former KKK leader David Duke and various Neo-Nazi organizations. This has effectively allowed the alternative right party to re-impose white supremacist ideologies throughout the United States, and to understand its horrifying implications we must learn what exactly it is.

The alternative right is a political party attempting to restore an all-white civil society in America. Despite how horrifying it may sound, it is indeed true. They hold secret meetings and reveal locations to devoted backers of the Trump campaign. The movement hypothesizes how to create a dream state for white Europeans, who will dominate the land with no people of alternative backgrounds or identities in the mix, the meetings tend to mirror ridiculous utopian ideas about a world where the white race would be the only race.

Mirroring the ideologies of the white American population during the centuries of slavery in the United States. The ambitious hopes of a post-racial America are effectively vanquished by such ideologies attempting to revert to a fundamentally racial hierarchy based, discrimination centered, white-supremacist America, where the idea of, “If it ain’t white, it ain’t right,” was a motto to live by.

Such a resurgence can mean trouble for minorities all throughout the United States in the wake of our current election. And, based on Trump's rhetoric such an ideology can truly gain massive support and backing, leading to a large-scale swing in momentum gained for the movement. However, this can also mean more incentive for increased amounts of activity for the Ku Klux Klan as well as other white supremacist groups to join in solidarity and provide the movement with more visibility.

As of now, due to the nature of secrecy that the alternative right movement attempts to maintain, it has not gained full momentum as various alternative groups have yet to pledge their full support. As a result, this means that the danger is near, but we have the capability to stop it. Recognition for such issues is the first key step, then negating any traction of such ideologies is the second.

To understand how to effectively stop the momentum of such ideologies, the United States needs to live up to its name of unity. Unfortunately, the legacy of the country has always been the primal antithesis the country’s name has always attempted to stand for: United. The legacy of slavery and racial discrimination against all people of color, starting with the genocide of Native Americans has created such an ingrained understanding of racial hierarchy that any absence feels abnormal. Racial politics and ideologies have pervaded American perspective in such a way that destabilization of such ideas would mean the absolute rupture of civil society as we know it.

However, combating the ideology is still a viable option. After all, all we can do is fight in the face of injustice; if we don’t speak up about the harm that has been subjected to us, then who will? Silence only fuels the justification for racism and allows for such ideologies like the alternative right movement to exist and effectively gain traction. We simply have to stay resilient.