Trump's Wheeling And Dealing On Turkey, Syria, Russia, And ISIS Is A Recipe For Disaster

As our allies watch in horror and disbelief, our adversaries, Russia and China, relish the chaos that Trump has created.

19

President Trump's recent decision to remove U.S. troops from Syria is one of the most dangerous decisions he has made to date. He has put the world in harm's way without regard to the slaughter of America's allies. The world is watching. How can any of our allies ever have the confidence in our country as a world leader again?

Over the years, the Kurds have been political tools for most of the world powers. In the 1970s, Richard Nixon and Henry Kissinger employed the Iraqi Kurds to rise in Iraq. This led to bloodshed as the Iraqi army attacked our Kurdish allies while the U.S. left them to fend for themselves. When questioned, a blase Kissinger explained that "covert action should not be confused with missionary work."

In the 1980s, the Reagan administration knew that Saddam was using nerve gas to systematically kill the Kurds in Iran. However, congress turned a blind eye because they felt most Americans would not care about this small band of people.

George H. W. Bush did what Trump does daily, and went on the radio, and asked the Iraqi military and their people to rise and force Saddam Hussein out of power. However, the president was ranting like our current president does and never employed our troops to help them. The Iran military massacred the rebels though out the country. Eventually, the British and American troops acted to help protect the remaining rebels.

The Clinton administration went as far as arming the Turkish forces eliminating the Kurds in Turkey. And even though Turkey killed tens of thousands of Turkish Kurds and destroyed their villages, they survived and are still a force in Turkey that angers the current president of Turkey, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, daily. In 2007 we armed Turkey again and allowed them to attack the Iraqi Kurds letting the down again.

"Pentagon Papers" whistleblower Daniel Ellsberg had this dour exchange with neoconservative William Kristol on C-SPAN just as the Iraqi War started in 2003:

Ellsberg: "The Kurds have every reason to believe they will be betrayed again by the United States, as so often in the past. The spectacle of our inviting Turks into this war... could not have been reassuring to the Kurds."
Kristol: "I'm against betraying the Kurds. Surely your point isn't that because we betrayed them in the past, we should betray them this time?"
Ellsberg: "Not that we should, just that we will.
Kristol: "We will not. We will not."

What Trump's actions have done is taking the world back in time to a place where we are guarding ourselves against the next attack from the Islamic State of terror. The Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) with the aid of United States Troops marched into Raqqa to help destroy the ISIS caliphate. Last year, Trump reduced the number of troops in Syria and armed the Syrian Kurds with the weapons needed to guard as many as 70,000 prisoners in refugee camps like al-Hol.

However, arming the Kurds displeased Erdoğan. Trump did not take into consideration the fallout of his decision to remove the United States troops from the northern part of Syria two weeks ago. Even though Trump says he warned Erdoğan not to take action, Erdoğan almost immediately sent troops into the northern part of Syria occupied by the Kurds. Politicians in Washington D.C. and the White House have been scrambling to find a solution to this blunder.

In the meantime, Trump has also redirected military forces to Saudi Arabia. This means he did not keep his promise of sending the troops back to the United States.

As our allies watch in horror and disbelief, our adversaries, Russia and China, relish the chaos that Trump has created. Putin has aligned Russia with Syria. The United States must now work with all of our allies to come to a resolution. Bring back our troops. Make sure the Islamic State is powerless to reorganize. And most importantly, not allow our Trump to make decisions of this magnitude again without the consent of Congress.