Trump's Cabinet: What It Means For The Future

Who's being chosen to serve as Trump's cabinet?

5
White House Historical Association

This past week has been a whirlwind over Donald Trump’s choices in his future cabinet. A quick glance at the list reveals a group of people that create cause for concern; the choices mean a team that works to create harm to marginalized people. While not everyone has been officially chosen, it’s important to look at this potential future cabinet and try and figure out what it means for our future as a country to have these people as cabinet members. I truly hope that reading about just a few of these nominations will help people see what’s at stake here, and what Trump’s cabinet supports.

Attorney General

One of the bigger controversies with this cabinet that has come up in the past couple days is the increasing likelihood of Senator Jeff Sessions (R-Alabama) to be nominated for Attorney General. He served as Attorney General of Alabama in the 1990s and served as a United States Attorney during the Reagan years. In 2005, he voted against a bill that prohibited cruel and unusual treatment of prisoners held by the government, and supported the tax cuts put forward by George W. Bush in 2001 and 2003. As the Attorney General of Alabama, he pushed to defund LGBT spaces and clubs in three separate universities, which led to a trial deeming that Sessions violated the First Amendment. He holds a rating of zero on the Human Rights Campaign website and voted against Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell in 2010. To top it all off, he even remains “skeptical” of climate change, voting for several bills that would greatly alter our environment and push forward oil drilling.

There honestly isn’t much more to say about this man. his views stand against any kind of progress moving forward, and let’s not forget that in the 1980s he was denied becoming a federal judge after “joking” that the Ku Klux Klan was “okay until they smoked marijuana.” And it’s something that can’t be taken as a joke when his track record has been extensively racist and bigoted. He’s not a person who will help marginalized people and as a country, we should not support a man as openly racist and bigoted as he is for our Attorney General.

Secretary of State

Currently, the leading candidate for Secretary of State is Rudy Giuliani, New York City mayor. Like Sessions, Giuliani too served under Reagan as an Associate Attorney General before being a United States Attorney for New York, then becoming Mayor of New York City. He has no foreign diplomacy experience that required him to hold office and didn’t get involved with foreign affairs whatsoever until the September 11 attacks. This caused him to sit on a recommendation board set up by George W. Bush called the Iraq Study Group, which he resigned from about two months later. His qualifications just aren’t there, and I feel like it’s more of a hire from Trump out of Giuliani’s loyalty. It's baffling to imagine why he's considered to have the credentials to be Secretary of State.

Treasury Secretary

Steven Mnuchin is a veteran of Goldman Sachs and served as the finance chair of Trump’s campaign. He also produces films, but I really don’t have too much to say about him. It’s just ironic that Trump talked about Clinton being involved in big bankswhen he himself could be hiring a big banker into the Treasury position. However, am I surprised that this happened? Absolutely not.

Senior Counselor

Steve Bannon will be the chief strategist for Trump’s presidency. He’s known to be a figure in the alt-right movement, which already is deeply concerning, though not surprising considering the alt-right was what started Trump’s support base. He’s a founder of Breitbart News, a platform for the political movement. Considering his base is made of alt-right activists and white supremacists, this is just plain disturbing. He’s described as racist, misogynistic, anti-Semitic nationalist, and xenophobic. He’s also a former Goldman Sachs banker and worked to rebrand Sarah Palin after her Vice Presidency bid in 2008. He, too, is not an advocate or a supporter of marginalized communities, and the fact that he’s a chief strategist is disheartening.

I encourage everyone to look at the rest of the list and see what kind of cabinet Trump is creating. From the looks of it, there’s a common theme that runs through the chosen candidates—loyalty to Trump himself, rather than experience. There's much more to say about Bannon and Sessions, as well as other cabinet nominees, but then the article would never end. Trump's cabinet choices are his actions, and those actions truly say what kind of administration he wants to run.