"TrumpCare" Is Just An Ego Boost For The Republican Party And Everyone Knows It

Sorry Donnie, you're not fooling anyone.
7

This past Thursday, the House of Representatives voted to repeal and replace the highly controversial Affordable Care Act. In a narrow 217 to 213 vote, the GOP will soon implement the American Health Care Act, also known as "TrumpCare." And while Republicans claim that the American Health Care Act will resolve the issues that occurred with ObamaCare, the truth is that Republicans really just wanted to get rid of ObamaCare as quickly as possible.

TrumpCare primarily benefits young people, business owners, and middle to upper-class Americans as it will eliminate the individual mandate and make the annual cost of health insurance tax deductible. However, TrumpCare does pose a threat to our elderly population and those who have been diagnosed with a pre-existing condition. TrumpCare plans on cutting funding for Medicaid and will allow health insurance companies to charge up to 5 times more for older recipients than for younger people. TrumpCare will also allow health insurance companies to charge more for those who were diagnosed with a pre-existing ailment.

It's no secret that the Republican Party showed a massive amount of anger and disapproval towards the Affordable Care Act since it was amended in 2010. And by all means, ObamaCare was far from perfect; while the ideas behind the Affordable Care Act including low premiums, patient protection from denial of services, and allowing every American access to health care, the ideas could not be properly executed in reality. Health insurance premiums have steadily increased in the past seven years, And while the Affordable Care Act required every American to have health insurance, many chose not to take part and just pay the fine while filing their taxes. But rather than going about fixing the issues that did occur with ObamaCare and reforming the Affordable Care Act, Republicans had to write something entirely new that would make any liberal squeamish.

But the worst part about all of this? Several Republican Representatives openly admitted that they didn't even read the 200-word bill prior to voting for it. The clear ignorance is shown from our own House of Representatives that partisan loyalty is the motivation behind what's going on in politics rather than actual policy.

Nothing is set in stone just yet. While TrumpCare making it through the House of Representatives is a huge win for Republicans, the bill must be passed by the Senate before being approved by the president and ultimately become a law. And currently, there are some Senators who are highly skeptical of the American Health Care Act and if it will be truly beneficial for the American people. Until then we will just have to stay tuned.