A Trump Presidency Won't End The World

A Trump Presidency Won't End The World

The reason why is as old as the Constitution itself.

12
A Trump Presidency Won't End The World
Huffington Post

Imagine this: It's November 8th, 2016. You're watching CNN as the polls are closing. As the results slowly come in, the map of the US slowly turns red. At one point, Wolf Blitzer is on screen, visibly shocked. With his mouth agape, he reluctantly lets these words pass his lips.

"CNN projects that Donald Trump will be the 45th President of the United States."

As this is announced, riots break out in major metropolitan areas. President Obama holds a press conference to announce one last time that Trump will not be president and that he hopes the electoral college will make the right decision.

Fast forward to January 20, 2017. Donald Trump is sworn in as President in Washington. On his first day he erects a giant gold sign above the White House that reads "TRUMP". Thousands of Democrats and Independents across the nation are on the edge of their seat as they wait for marriage equality to be overturned, as well as the inevitable nukes that Trump will launch on any nation that doesn't fly Old Glory above their government building. They wait and wait, but the impending apocalypse never comes.

Why not? The answer is simple.

Checks and balances.

The constitution was written with King George III in mind. His tyrannical reign was so unappealing that our Founding Fathers knew that his actions could not be repeated in this country. For that reason, the Constitution distributes the power not to one leader, but rather three branches of government. These branches include: The Executive branch, which would be led by Donald Trump and his cabinet, the Legislative branch, which includes the House of Representatives and Senate and finally, the Judicial branch, which is the Supreme Court. I won't go into detail about what they do, but this is an important distinction that many Americans seem to overlook.

If President Trump was to say on his first day in office that he will begin a war with Mexico, it wouldn't happen. Not legally at least. Congress is the sole entity in the United States that can legally declare war. If Trump were to take action without Congress' approval, he would be breaking the law of the land, and if Trump were to commit a crime, he could be impeached by Congress and if they so choose, remove him from office.

The system of checks and balances in our government applies to all branches of government to prevent one branch from having too much power over another. It is for this reason that Americans can be rest assured that the world will not turn into a Mad Max movie if Trump is elected.

It disheartens me that this even has to be said, but in the words of the wise LeVar Burton, "You don't have to take my word for it.".