More Than Just An Entertainer

More Than Just An Entertainer

What it really takes to be president of the United States.
9

All too often we hear people bashing Donald Trump on his presidential run. People are distrustful of Trump’s presidential bid for several reasons, a lot of them claiming that he’s not qualified enough because he’s not a typical politician.

But that is exactly what qualifies him the most.

When it comes to criterion to run for president, the United States Constitution only has a few: a natural born citizen, at least 35 years old, and you must have lived in the United States at least 14 years. Back in the day, our founding fathers and our first presidents were normal people, none of them were typical politicians like we think of today. Some of the best presidents have been actors or farmers before stepping up for the presidential role; Donald Trump was a real estate developer. Since Trump is widely recognized as one of the wealthiest men in the world, he is in the limelight often and is viewed as an entertainer or celebrity of some sort, but that’s not his job, and that’s not the determining factor on whether or not he’d be a good president or a good "politician".

Many people don’t realize that Donald Trump has been involved in politics for quite some time now. Though he is not a career politician like many people think our presidential candidates should be, politics have always been something he was involved and interested in. As a businessman, of course Trump has paid close attention to laws, politics, and policies. He has written several books about business and economics that could be seen as political. More recently, before he officially announced his run, he has been almost like a political commentator. Before he ran, he had many supporters who liked his ideals and perspectives. He was featured on news channels and programs for political insight and his social media accounts consisted of political commentary. As someone who has been a fan of Donald Trump since before his presidential campaign, and as someone who follows politics outside of the election season, I always followed his websites and social media for his politics. To people who do not follow politics as much, it seems like Donald Trump literally just came out of the woodwork to run, but that’s not the case. When it comes to politics, names like Sarah Palin or Paul Ryan stick out to us as legitimate “politicians”. But Donald Trump is seen as one of those people. For political enthusiasts like myself, Donald Trump’s name has always been involved in politics from his books, to his political commentary.

So next time you want to say Donald Trump wouldn’t be a good president because he’s not a “politician”, please consider your facts and search for his political commentary and books from before he ran. You will see that in fact, Donald Trump has been involved in politics, though he is not a "politician", no. But neither is Paul Ryan, Sarah Palin, or John McCain. They are governors, former military, and public officials. When the United States was first formed, our founding father’s and former presidents weren’t “politicians”. They were businessmen, war heroes, authors, and scientists. Ronald Reagan, one of the best presidents was an actor. There is not exact definition or title for a politician, but I can tell you right now that Donald Trump is more than just an entertainer and his lack of a political title is what makes him so attractive to voters. It’s what makes him the most qualified to run.