Trump Is A Narcissist And We Should All Be Afraid

America, we are so screwed.

17
Politico.com

I have been hearing words these past few days/weeks along the lines of "crazy" and "unstable" to describe Trump. And while I understand why people would describe him that way, I don't think they are fully accurate terms to describe him. Let's all stop beating around the bush and call him what he really is: a (potentially) diagnosable narcissist. I'm not talking like your average teenage, #InstaSelfie-obsessed, moody girl. I am talking about a textbook narcissist—a delusional, self-absorbed man with a fragile ego who cannot comprehend things that disagree with his delusions. Don't believe me? Let's take a look at the DSM-V's definition of narcissistic personality disorder.

In order to do this, we must first set the criteria for personality disorders.

"The essential features of a personality disorder are impairments in personality (self and interpersonal) functioning and the presence of pathological personality traits. To diagnose a personality disorder, the following criteria must be met:

A. Significant impairments in self (identity or self-direction) and interpersonal (empathy or intimacy) functioning.

B. One or more pathological personality trait domains or trait facets.

C. The impairments in personality functioning and the individual's personality trait expression are relatively stable across time and consistent across situations.

D. The impairments in personality functioning and the individual's personality trait expression are not better understood as normative for the individual‟s developmental stage or sociocultural environment.

E. The impairments in personality functioning and the individual's personality trait expression are not solely due to the direct physiological effects of a substance (e.g., a drug of abuse, medication) or a general medical condition (e.g., severe head trauma)" (DSM-V, 2012 American Psychiatric Association).

Cocaine abuse aside, sound like anyone you know who may have a problem? I mean he clearly fits this criteria for a diagnosable personality disorder. Okay so now that we have it cleared up that his behaviors are pervasive throughout time, meaning that he has always been like this, and that it is obviously not normal for a human being to behave the way he does, let's look at the DSM-V criteria for narcissistic personality disorder.

"The essential features of a personality disorder are impairments in personality (self and interpersonal) functioning and the presence of pathological personality traits. To diagnose narcissistic personality disorder, the following criteria must be met:

A. Significant impairments in personality functioning manifest by:

1. Impairments in self functioning (a or b):

a. Identity: Excessive reference to others for self-definition and self-esteem regulation; exaggerated self-appraisal may be inflated or deflated, or vacillate between extremes; emotional regulation mirrors fluctuations in self-esteem.

b. Self-direction: Goal-setting is based on gaining approval from others; personal standards are unreasonably high in order to see oneself as exceptional, or too low based on a sense of entitlement; often unaware of own motivations. AND

2. Impairments in interpersonal functioning (a or b):

a. Empathy: Impaired ability to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others; excessively attuned to reactions of others, but only if perceived as relevant to self; over- or underestimate of own effect on others.

b. Intimacy: Relationships largely superficial and exist to serve self-esteem regulation; mutuality constrained by little genuine interest in others' experiences and predominance of a need for personal gain

B. Pathological personality traits in the following domain:

1. Antagonism, characterized by:

a. Grandiosity: Feelings of entitlement, either overt or covert; self-centeredness; firmly holding to the belief that one is better than others; condescending toward others.

b. Attention seeking: Excessive attempts to attract and be the focus of the attention of others; admiration seeking.

D. The impairments in personality functioning and the individual‟s personality trait expression are not better understood as normative for the individual‟s developmental stage or socio-cultural environment.

E. The impairments in personality functioning and the individual‟s personality trait expression are not solely due to the direct physiological effects of a substance (e.g., a drug of abuse, medication) or a general medical condition (e.g., severe head trauma)" (DSM-V, 2012 American Psychiatric Association).

Again, sound like anyone we know? I must also point out, again, that he has always been like this. He has not changed. Did some of you think that he actually cared about you? He cared about the "little guy"? He doesn't. He said things for attention and praise. And for those of us who don't worship the goddamn ground this man walks on, we are in trouble. You've already seen it within the past few days. "Make America Great Again?" You mean, let's remake America in Trump aka God of us all's image of what he thinks America should be. This is a man who exploited group polarization for his own personal gain. And we gave him access to nukes. This is a man whose ego is so fragile, that it breaks at the slightest nudge. This is a very mentally ill, delusional man who has proven his instabilities time and again. And again, we gave him access to nukes (not to mention a lot of other dangerous things). You should be afraid, America. I am assuming here that you all are relatively intelligent and have a read a history textbook or two in your time. Did you not learn anything from them? This has happened time and again, and we/you/whomever let it happen again! This man is dangerous and, America, we are screwed.

Still don't believe me about this serious mental health issue? Here is what Psychology Today, The Atlantic, Huffington Post and NY Mag had to say.