Trump Could Take Cruz To Court

Trump Could Take Cruz To Court

Why the election opponents could be heading to the courtroom soon

11
Trump Could Take Cruz To Court
bizpacreview.com

Different interpretations of the Constitution have caused debates since it was written, and nearly 240 years later nothing is any different. To not many people’s surprise, GOP Front-Runner Donald Trump is at the head of the newest debate. For quite some time now Trump has been questioning his opponent, Ted Cruz’s, eligibility for presidency claiming that Cruz is not a natural born citizen. Now, some legal experts are saying that this series of questioning could lead to a legitimate lawsuit between the two rivals.

Ted Cruz was born in 1970 in Canada to an American mother who was originally from Delaware and a Cuban father who was not an American citizen. According to the Constitution, a person is born an American citizen if they are born in an American territory, or are born to a current American citizen. So, obviously, Cruz acquired his American citizenship through his mother’s status at the time of his birth. Regarding presidential eligibility, the Constitution says that any natural-born citizen, among other qualifications, can run for the position. And here’s where the question is raised. Does natural-born mean born on American soil, or does it mean born a natural citizen? Different people interpret it differently.

Ted Cruz has lived in America since he was approximately six years old, so it’s not like he just crossed the Canadian border and decided to run for President of the United States. He has grown up here, he lived in an American society, and has been subject to the American governmental system for the great majority of his life. But, some people still feel very adamantly about what they believe the Constitution clearly says. However, Trump’s motives for raising question are slightly different.

The reason that Trump could probably even propose a lawsuit is because he can claim personal harm by Cruz’s questionable eligibility. Trump can claim that he is losing voters’ attention and votes to Cruz, even though, according to Trump, Cruz might not even have the right to be campaigning. Although the likelihood of a court actually getting in the middle of this is pretty slim, legal experts do say there is grounds for Trump to sue. Trump also argues that if he doesn’t bring Cruz’s eligibility into question, the Democrats will if Cruz wins the nomination. Ultimately, though, most people believe that it is up to the voters to interpret the Constitution and vote in accordance to their interpretation.

But, how many voters actually read the Constitution? For reasons that many people cannot explain, Trump has a way of convincing people, or he at least makes his statements heard. Even supporters of Trump will agree that he is a bold candidate. So, when Trump, who let’s not forget recently lost to Cruz in the Iowa Caucus, accuses someone of not being a natural-born American citizen, there are people who will instantly believe it without knowing why such accusations exist. The same thing happens with Obama when people question the authenticity of his birth certificate. People believe what they want to hear.

I personally think that this is just another way that Trump is trying to defer the race from actual, existing problems. For months now, this race has been about Trump – who said what about him, how candidates fared in a debate against him, and what he said about whom. But, with the Republicans set on choosing an official Republican candidate in just five short months, the race needs to shift gears, and shift gears quickly.

Donald Trump is running for president, and if that’s who the majority of people want to run our country, then so be it, but it shouldn’t be that way just because of his media attention or what he does to other candidates. The game is finally getting interesting, Cruz first wins the Caucus, and then Trump pulled ahead in New Hampshire. Unless there is something so, strikingly awful about why an opposing candidate should not be President, I think everyone needs to start focusing on why they would be the best. And, I know that’s not how these things work, but at least, don’t be a sore loser about it when, you lose once this early in the game. Unless the Supreme Court, the ultimate interpreters of the Constitution, make a decision, the eligibility of Cruz’s possible presidency is up to we the people.