Whether Trump Said 'Shithole' Or 'Shithouse' Is Completely Irrelevant

Either word would have a racist connotation.
116

It is time for everyone to stop beating around the bush and face the music. The President of the United States is racist. After his statement where he called Haiti, El Salvador, and African nations shithole countries, it could not be more blatantly obvious that he views anyone that is not white as inferior. Even though Trump is shameless about his racism, his supporters continue to find a way to defend him until the very end.

The version of Trump’s words from the immigration meeting that are currently circulating is that he actually said shithouse countries and not shithole countries. Supposedly, a shithouse country refers to a country where you would have to walk outside to use an outhouse. This is being described as a non-racist word because it is being used to describe the inadequate plumbing in those nations. However, the use of either one of those words would further prove that Trump is a racist.

Calling El Salvador a shithole or shithouse country both have the same connotation of it being a country that is lesser than the United States. Even if Trump had said shithouse, it does not magically make him a non-racist person because his intention of using that word would not have been to discuss the state of plumbing in El Salvador but rather to emphasize his belief that the United States is far too good for any immigrants from those countries.

Americans are fixated on the fact that Trump used profanity in the meeting and not on the fact that the person leading our country is making decisions over immigration based solely on his own ignorant perceptions of people of color. He has only ever had negative comments to make when talking about countries where the citizens are mostly people of color.

In the same meeting where Trump said shithole countries, he mentioned that the United States should instead be bringing in immigrants from Norway, which is a mostly white country. Why is immigration suddenly acceptable when the immigrants that would be coming are white? Would Trump be up in arms over white immigrants wanting a path to citizenship? Of course not because he only sees white people as being an asset to the nation. Trump said that “the people of Norway work very hard,” as if Haitians, Salvadorans, and Africans are not hardworking. In fact, without Salvadorans, Haitians, and Hondurans in the U.S. labor force, the United States would lose $164 billion in gross domestic product over the next decade. Not only that, but the Los Angeles Times found that “of the 1.4 million [sub-Saharan African immigrants] who are 25 and older, 41% have a bachelor’s degree, compared with 30% of all immigrants and 32% of the U.S.-born population. Of the 19,000 U.S. immigrants from Norway — a country Trump reportedly told lawmakers is a good source of immigrants — 38% have college educations.”

The United States needs to stop ignoring the true issue at hand. The President cursing while in a meeting with lawmakers should not be the focus when the message he wanted to convey through his curse words was that the United States should only accept white people with open arms because any country with citizens that are mostly people of color are automatically shitholes.