True Life: I Love My Major

True Life: I Love My Major

Weird, right?
15

Choosing a major can be tricky, and finding a major that you love can be even trickier. Some people go into college with the idea that you can choose a major and stick with it for the rest of your collegiate career. In some cases, this situation happens (and props to you guys, you must have your life together), but in most cases, you'll end up changing your major at least once. It's difficult to determine exactly what you want to do with your life at such a young age, but it's possible, and I know it's possible because I've done it.

At the beginning of my freshman year, I was lost. I thought I wanted to go in a path that is completely opposite of what path I'm going down currently. I was stuck in a major that I thought was the right choice for me initially, but soon learned I would rather do anything else in the world than what I was studying. I'm here to tell you that this kind of thing happens all of the time and is perfectly okay. Your life won't crumble in to a zillion little pieces if you hate your major, but don't let yourself stay with something you hate. I remember being nervous about changing my major, but in retrospect, it's one of the best decisions I've ever made. Reflecting on my thoughts made me think about what I really wanted to do in life, and where I truly wanted to be. I changed my major at the end of my freshman year and I have been reaping the benefits ever since then.

My advice to you is this: find your passion, your drive, your motivation. Find what makes you the happiest. Are you passionate about science? Go with that. Does writing give you thrill? Write until your hand goes numb. Is history your thing? Absorb as much information as you can. You know you the best, so go with what you want to do. Don't think about what your future salary will be, think about how much you will enjoy your life if you end up doing something you love. My father always used to tell me that if you go in to work every day loving what you do, you'll never work a day in your life. It's taken me a while to comprehend that, but now that I do, I swear by it.

So go and find what you love. Take time to explore the inner workings of your mind. Remember that it's perfectly fine to change your mind about things, even if you change your mind often. What matters most is the end game, and ultimately you want to be happy. Never stick with something for the wrong reasons. Do what you love and love what you do, and I promise you'll end up loving your work.