Trendy Exercise Classes

Trendy Exercise Classes

15
Trendy Exercise Classes

Looking to stay in shape?

It’s no longer enough to just hop on the treadmill for 30 minutes, bored out of your mind or lift dumbbells as you awkwardly watch yourself in the mirror.

You need a fully body workout that is not only enjoyable but even feels like a giant party with 25 complete strangers. There are so many new and trendy exercise classes that go by in a flash, yet make your muscles burn. A class that once you leave, you find yourself immediately signing up for again. I’ve attended a few of these types of classes myself and can promise I am always sore the next day.

SPINNING: Trapped to a stationary bike for about 45 minutes, this class will have you sweating within minutes.  Not only do you get a great cardio workout, some classes even involve using hand weights, allowing you to tone your arms as well. During the class, music is blasting and there is an instructor yelling at you to push yourself, motivating you to go harder than you thought possible.  As coined famous by CYC fitness, “it’s a party on a bike.” Each song throughout the class is a different challenge, ranging from speed to high resistance rides.  The class flies by, and during the cool down you’re sure to be left wanting more.  Spin studios I’ve been to and loved are Soul Cycle, Fly Wheel, and CYC.

BALLET BARRE:  This is the hardest type of exercise class I have ever taken, and there were a few points at which I thought I was going to pass out.  However, I stuck it out and received one of the best workouts of my life.  This hour long class tones your entire body from your shoulders to your calves, paying close attention to your core.  Holding different poses, pulsing different parts of your body, if you don’t feel the burn or find yourself shaking, you are definitely doing something wrong.  I’ve only taken this type of class at Pure Barre, but I definitely recommend going!

ZUMBA: Based off of different Latin dance styles, Zumba classes are a great way to have fun and dance while getting a cardio workout as well.  It’s impossible not to have a huge smile on your face while in this class.  The songs are always upbeat, begging you to move your body to the music.  There is an instructor in the front of the class who you are supposed to follow, but there is no pressure to do the moves exactly as they do.  The first few minutes you may feel embarrassed dancing wildly in front of others (this is something usually reserved while you are with a few close friends watching the Lizzie McGuire Movie), but the beauty of Zumba is allowing yourself to let loose.  Zumba is all about having a great time, it’s just a bonus that you get to shed calories too.  Many gyms, such as New York Sports Club and Equinox, offer Zumba classes.

Next time you’re thinking of walking up the dreadful Stairmaster or doing crunches on a dirty mat, see if you can take a class instead.  They work outs fly by, and you see great results.