5 Trends Valentine's Day Statistics Say About Couples

Consumer spending and shopping habits show some surprising trends on Valentine's Day.

1091
Rostislav Kralik

1. Cards for women, flowers for men

Men might be spending more, but women are buying all the cards. 85% of cards are bought by women. It’s second only to Christmas in its card-sending power. So, don’t be surprised when your female bestie, mom, or girlfriend gets you one. It’s statistics. And the men are the ones buying all the flowers, 73%. (Psst, also, 15% of women send themselves flowers! But we won’t tell).

2. Make it or break it

Valentine’s is a huge holiday. Over 54% of consumers celebrate it. And if you don’t, you might need to find a new girlfriend. 53% of women said they’d end their relationship if they didn’t get something. And if you did get her something, beware: 11,000 babies are conceived on February 14th every year, which doesn't include the 6 million couples that plan to pop the question. You might be making your relationship more permanent!

3. Singles be Tindering

There are roughly 105 million singles over 18 in America according to the Census Bureau. And there are more single women (53%) than men (47%). What’s a girl to do with a market that competitive? Tinder it up. Tinder saw an increase in traffic by 7.6% last Valentine’s. It’s never too late to get a date.

4. Men pick up the tab

What was once a religious holiday has become commercialized. The National Retail Federation says Valentine’s is a $19.7 billion industry. And, unsurprisingly, men spend more on Valentine’s Day than women. However, they spend nearly 50% more. The holiday costs the average man $130. According to Bank Rate, a box of chocolates is $15, diamond earrings are $300, a dozen roses costs $40, and a dinner for two averages $80, with champagne coming in around $50 a bottle. So even if he gets her roses and dinner, that’s $120.

5. It’s modernizing

A Lindt Chocolates survey found men who would once have sent cards now prefer to declare their love by text message or email. About 29% of people will receive a romantic text. That's not surprising since our phones are everything. However, gallantry is also dying.

Two-thirds of women expect to share the cost of their Valentine's Day dinner out. But some are taking it even further; more couples are opting not to buy each other gifts or even celebrate. This is the fourth year in a row Valentine’s Day participants are in decline. I guess spending loads of money on a Hallmark holiday isn't as romantic in the modern age. Couples would rather spend quality time together.

If you’re in a relationship with a woman, make sure you get her something. May I suggest a card? If you’re single and looking, don’t wallow in loneliness on the couch, get on a dating app. And, no, it’s not weird to get yourself flowers. Ladies, remember, it's a competitive market; appreciate what your man does get you. Or you could be modern, and just Netflix and chill this Valentine's Day.