Traveling And The Sorority Girl

Traveling And The Sorority Girl

88
Traveling And The Sorority Girl

All the pros, cons, packing lists and places to throw what you know.

I just got back from traveling all over Israel for 10 days with six of my sisters as we experienced what it is like to travel as a couple of college girls. It is safe to say, I would not have wanted to experience this with anyone else.

I do not travel very much. When I do, it is mostly with my family. When I was planning on going on Birthright, a not-for-profit educational organization that sponsors free 10-day heritage trips to Israel, with six of my sorority sisters, I became a little wary of what it would be like. As everyone knows, girls fight, and if we were to spend long periods of uninterrupted time together, I thought it would end up in a major cat fight. Well, fortunately, I was wrong.

With anything there are always pros and cons to consider. Here is a list about traveling with your sisters.

Pro: You get to experience a whole new place with the girls you love most in the world. What could possibly be better than that?

Con: It is difficult to meet new people and branch out since you always seem to end up talking about recruitment or what the name of the third consultant was. Was it Jamie number two?

Pro: There are always a million and a half options of outfits! Just like living in the sorority house, sisters are always willing to share clothes and that is even more beneficial halfway around the world.

Con: You will most likely end up matching one of your sisters multiple times since you all brought the same apparel. It is what it is.

Pro: There is always someone ready to take a picture with you, or of you.  Sorority girls love their pictures, especially when you want to “throw what you know!”

After you have made your pros and cons list, you should also remember the one major aspect of travel: the packing list. I always struggle with this part, because who knows what I will want to wear two weeks from tomorrow? Here are a few things to think about when packing for a 10-day or two week trip.     

Depending on what kind of trip you are going on, at least 10 T-shirts for activities such as hiking or walking long distances.     

At least five bottoms corresponding to the weather of your location. Bathing suit(s) no matter where you are going, because you may want to swim in the hotel pool. 

Leggings. Because, leggings.      

Rain jacket. Michigan weather seems to follow us, even in the desert.      

Jeans. If you choose to wear jeans over leggings.    

Baseball hat, most likely with your letters on it.      

Gym shoes, for exercise like activities.

Sunglasses (with croakies?).      

Apparel with letters on it for the typical group pictures.

Lastly, when traveling anywhere it is imperative that you take “throw what you know” pictures in beautiful locations. Here are some examples:      

Colosseum      

Dead Sea     

Taj Mahal      

Eiffel Tower      

Leaning tower of Piza      

Statue of Liberty    

With any Disney character      

Palace of Versailles  

Arc de Triomphe      

Masada      

he Parthenon      

If you happen to find sisters from another school you should document that, wherever and whenever.