'Travelers' Review

'Travelers' Review

Let's do the Time Warp
118

The Canadian produced Netflix show, Travelers, starring Eric McCormack, recently released its second season, and it is intense to the say the least. For those who are unfamiliar, Travelers is a compelling Netflix original about time travelers going back to the twenty-first century the U.S. to essentially save humanity.

The show centers around a group of five 'travelers' from the future, who use advanced technology that allows them to send their minds or consciousnesses to other people’s bodies in the twenty-first century just before they are supposed to die.

Each of these travelers has a special set of skills, but they ultimately work as one unit or team.

So far, the first two seasons focus on the time travelers and their various missions, most of which consist of stopping people from dying, although not everyone is meant to be saved. Aside from trying to save the world, they also have to maintain the lives of their hosts, or the bodies they have transferred their consciousnesses into.

Pretending to be these other people seems to entail way more effort than stopping a bomb from exploding, yet they seem to be able to manage both, albeit messily. Some of the hosts have or had families and kids and government jobs, while others spent their days getting high.

Regardless of the particular circumstances, each traveler inevitably struggles with constantly pretending to be someone else and living a life that is not their own. However, they do manage to pull it off. For a while, anyway.

Travelers is unpredictable and dramatic, but it reveals how minuscule events can have significant impacts on humanity and what that means or could mean for the future of the nation.