11 Reasons You Need To Stop What You're Doing And Book A Flight To Puerto Rico...Like Right Now

Y'all needed to go like, yesterday.

49

I don't know if you've heard or been forced to see it all over Instagram but the spring break season, aka #sbk2019 (that's still cool, right?), is finally upon us. I think it's about time we all deserve a break. So if you're like "what the heck it was Christmas last week" and don't have any plans; if you and your squad are ballin' on a budget or anything in between, you've come to the right place. Here are 10 reasons, as if you need that many, why you need this in your life. So pack your bags, hun, because you're going on a Puerto Rican getaway!

1. It's so freaking beautiful.

Skyler Waugh

2. You don't need a passport.

I sometimes (often, tbh) forget that Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory which means you don't need a passport! This is a game changer for people are unable to get a passport or are too lazy to renew it (me).

3. Uber is your best friend.

The only tip to remember is, stay with me here, you can't get an Uber leaving the airport and into the island but you can Uber everywhere else. There are "old fashioned" taxis waiting outside of the airport that will get you to where you're going. Oh, and to make it more confusing, you can get an Uber from the island into the airport. So the only time you can't get one is leaving the airport. Hopefully that makes sense.

4. Did I mention it's beautiful?

Skyler Waugh

5. The food is amazing and cheap.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PuertoRico/comments/7vfqab/got_to_eat_my_favorite_puerto_rican_food_mofongo/

Good news for the spring breakers on a budget! A must-have is the widely known dish "monfongo". It's made with mashed plantains, your choice of meat, and onions. It's then cooked in a small wooden barrel. It's amazing, trust me.

6. The drinks are even better.

Bring me back a piña colada with fresh coconut, please.

7. Speaking of the drinks, the legal age down there is 18. 

If you're the baby of your friend group and can't get into any bars or clubs (or literally ~anything~), this one's for you. This means you don't have to be the D.D. or the Mom this spring break!

8. Visit both forts in Old San Juan.

Skyler Waugh

9. The popsicles at Señor Paleta in Old San Juan are to ~die~ for.

Skyler Waugh

I've literally been dreaming about these treats. They have sorbet and gelato based popsicles that come in almost too many flavors. It's overwhelming to pick which one (or ones) you want but I highly recommend the coconut. It's a 12/10 from me.

10. People are incredibly nice. 

I don't know if it's because they live in paradise or the whole "island time" is an actual thing but everyone is so polite and kind.

11. Tourism is back and better than ever.

Skyler Waugh

In 2017, Hurricane Maria came through the Caribbean causing such destruction and devastation. Maybe it was because of the lack of exposure to the aftermath, I some are was surprised to see such growth and rebuilding in San Juan. If you travel into the mountains outside of the city, however, you will still see blue tarps and power outages. Tourism is vital in the continuing recovery.