Travel Diaries: Follow Me To London

Travel Diaries: Follow Me To London

Last stop: London, where fish and chips are what you expect by the title and January sales are the best in town.

138
Travel Diaries: Follow Me To London
Casey Whoolery-Pratt

January 11, 2017

Day 9

Traveling to London

London here we come! We left early this morning and now are on the train to England. It’s been real Paris, and it’s been fun, and its been real fun. But, London is a calling.

.......

The first day in London was a success! We met Clive at the train station and he took us to our hotel. We had orientation, followed by free time for lunch. Of course I had to get fish and chips. So Hunter T., Professor H., and I went to a local pub near our hotel. Apparently, my professor does not like the way I eat my fish and chips because I cut it the "wrong direction." Also, I almost got denied a beer because I didn’t look of age. I almost had to show the guy my passport!! Which, mind you, was in my hotel room a block or two away.

After lunch, we went on a walking tour of London! It is a little bit warmer here than it was in Germany and France. The Tube is a little more confusing though compared to the metro. After the tour, we had more free time to do what we pleased. And I pretty much knocked out because of how exhausted I was. Once I woke up I met everyone at a local pub to get some food. The scariest part was walking there by myself. But hey, I made it!

I got the risotto and it wasn’t even cooked all the way. Yuck. Macey wasn’t feeling well so she stayed in and hit the hay pretty early. Since I napped, I’m not gonna be able to sleep now. But, I’m still going to try. So goodnight and see you in the a.m. Until tomorrow.

The world traveler,

Casey

THINGS I’VE LEARNED TODAY:

• Churches cost money here and museums are free (it's the opposite in Germany and France).
  • The Tube is confusing.
  • I like fish and chips.
  • London is very similar to the way America is.
  • Super rainy.
  • Boot’s carries what we call high-end makeup in a drug store.
  • The exchange rate is crazy high.
  • There are no taxes (must buy all the things now).

January 12, 2017

Day 10

The Ritz

Breakfast started out our day, and afterward, we had free time until we had to be back to meet Clive to go the U.S. Embassy. We talked more on Brexit and what the U.S. Embassy does in general.

Once our meeting concluded, the group who had plans to go to the Ritz for afternoon tea headed off to get ready. The outfit I had packed to wear, unfortunately, was so wrinkled and the iron wasn’t doing the job that I had to underdress for the occasion. However, afternoon tea was the coolest experience I had.

Getting there was a struggle though because we had a cab that took us to the wrong location and we were almost late to our reservation. I'm pretty convinced he did it on purpose to get money out of us. The waiter was awesome and said he would turn his head if we tried to take the champagne glasses. I kind of regret not taking mine but I’m sure I will be back again someday.

Macey tried to take the teacup from off the table and everyone had to tell her not too. She had already placed it in her bag and was ready to walk out. Also, Hunter S. the whole time was pouring hot water into his teacup thinking it was his tea and couldn’t figure out why the tea was so bland and awful. I was cracking up. Sorry for very little updates today, I’m exhausted and am ready for bed. Until tomorrow.

The world traveler,

Casey

THINGS I’VE LEARNED TODAY:

• Keep watch on Macey at all times (just kidding).
  • Don’t roll up nice outfits that are easily wrinkled.

January 13, 2017

Day 11

Chelsea Stadium

This trip is quickly coming to an end and it saddens me. I am enjoying the trip so much that I don’t want to leave. Today we started the day off at Chelsea Stadium, where we got to tour it and the museum. Lunch was super quick seeing as we had to meet back up to go to Lloyd’s of London. Turns out there are so many different types of "Lloyd’s of London." This one just happened to be for insurance. The building was so cool and the elevator was even cooler. You could see the entire city. I liked that a lot of the artwork was by the same artist and he always hid a mouse in his paintings.

Macey got so sick that she missed out on Lloyd’s and had to go to a clinic. Unfortunately, she has been so sick I don’t know if she is going to be able to see much more of London. Tonight we went to an area where it literally looked exactly like New York city with the big screens over the city and it was crazy packed. We lost Brandon on the way there, which for me was scary because he was one of the only people that knew how to get around the Tube. Everyone wanted to go to the two-story gift shop so we went on the hunt for that tonight. Other than that, it pretty much wraps up my day. So until tomorrow.

The world traveler,

Casey

THINGS I’VE LEARNED TODAY:

• Don’t lose Brandon on the Tube.
  • London is definitely similar to America.
  • Don’t upset Clive. Why? I'm not quite sure, that's is all my professor said. Repeatedly.

January 14, 2017

Day 12

Changing of the guard and the Chelsea game

Free day say heyyyy!!! We tried to make it to see the changing of the guards but all we managed to see was the parade. It was way too crowded to stay and see the actual ceremony. So we pretty much just walked around the park and looked at all the ducks and geese. The highlight of the day by far. The park was beautiful! We ate at the restaurant in the park for lunch and then made our way to see Big Ben.

Yes, you are correct. I did get a picture of me jumping in front of Big Ben as well! A new tradition, duh! We saw the London Eye and also visited the National Gallery, where I accidentally stole a map. I didn’t know they cost money and I took it without paying. I didn’t realize until halfway through the museum that they weren’t free.

While we were in there, Nick P. and I lost Hunter T. and had to hunt him down because we weren’t able to call each other! We definitely were riding the struggle bus. I wanted to visit another museum today but didn’t because somebody, *cough cough*, told us it would cost money (you know who you are). It was such a disappointment because we didn’t go.

Closer to the end of the night we found our way to a local sports bar to meet everyone to watch the Chelsea game. Macey, being her clumsy self, spilled yet another drink and this time it was a nine pound drink. I felt bad so I went and bought her a new one. When the game was over, everyone was getting ready to leave, when I get a text from Brandon, who was supposed to be in the bathroom, saying “I’m heading to the speakeasy. Challenge: find Drunk Brandon.”

Let’s just say I was really angry with him when we couldn’t find him. He kept texting us hints to find him but not one of the hints were enough to figure out where he was. While we were searching for him two of the guys thought it would be a great idea to climb on a monument outside of the National Gallery to ride the statue lions. I for sure thought the police were going to be called.

When we found the speakeasy we thought he might have already gone in, but turns out it had a reservation list up to 3 months in advance. Needless to say, Brandon got bored and decided to forget about his made-up game and go home. The night was getting a little tiring when everyone was bickering over what pub to go to next so I took it upon myself to go find a McDonald’s and eat. I was sitting in the lobby with my food when the hotel manager came up to us and told me that I wasn't allowed outside food unless it was in our room. What is it with me always getting kicked out of places for eating? Too bad I had already eaten all of it for it not to matter. And here I end my night typing this long journal entry. So until tomorrow.

The world traveler,

Casey

THINGS I’VE LEARNED TODAY:

• When Brandon says he is going to the restroom, he most likely is taking his own little adventure.
  • McDonald’s here is not the same as in America.

January 16, 2017

Day 14

Back on Home Turf

I’m finally home!! We were up bright and early and on our way to America. I could not have been more grateful for the experiences while I was there and I am already missing it. The only problem is my luggage got lost because our plane arrived in Dallas late and we almost missed our flight trying to get through customs. Even with an express pass (to bypass customs), it still took forever, causing our luggage to be delayed. I had to get mine flown to Abilene the next day. Thanks for coming along on my journey with me and getting to experience it through my journal. Until next time…

The world traveler,

Casey

THINGS I’VE LEARNED OVERALL

• I’m destined to travel more.
  • I was getting close to over 20,000 steps a day.
  • European’s don’t understand why all our money is the same size and we don’t understand why theirs is not.
  • The pound has brail for blind people.
  • The world is yours, explore it.
  • Carpe diem

Scrapbook: